Controller, Technical Accounting at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Our Accounting and Finance team is hiring for a professional and experienced Technical accounting expert. This individual will lead the Company’s efforts to stay abreast of all its reporting requirements by creating and maintaining accounting manuals and professional accounting memos as well as focusing on reporting requirements for the company as required by GAAP. They will report to the VP, Corporate Controller. This role offers the unique opportunity to directly impact Better’s growth trajectory by standing up its Technical accounting function. An instrumental hire as the company continues to scale, this individual will be expected to take on responsibility at a rapid pace.
Responsibilities will include:
- Create and maintain all accounting manuals and professional accounting memorandums required by for Audit and quarterly review.
- Serve as an internal technical accounting expert and help implement new and emerging FASB and SEC accounting pronouncements as well as assess the accounting impact on the current disclosures.
- Take part in all Complex audit discussions and requests from the auditor as well as lead the efforts to transform current consolidated financial statements to be SEC compliant
- Assure all Working papers and working processes reflect required standard of reporting an operation.
- Liaise with key members of Partnerships, operations and legal and compliance on accounting implications of non-standard revenue transactions and document accounting treatment of such transactions
- Assist with the development and presentation of internal training materials with respect to existing or new accounting standards
- Lead the technical accounting aspect of the accounting manual
- Research and documentation of technical accounting inquiries and related disclosure requirements for all non-recurring transactions and special situations coming up.
- Keep up-to-date on industry trends related to financial reporting and technical accounting including review of industry leader’s filings and disclosures for best practices.
- 7-10 years of progressive accounting experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting + an active CPA license
- Big 4 experience
- Experience working at an SEC registered company with SEC clients in public accounting or
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and SEC reporting
- Ability to perform independent accounting research and the subsequent framing and documentation of accounting issues along with the related conclusions
- Strong sense of responsibility, accuracy and accountability
- Have excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Must bring a hands-on style and the ability to prioritize and deliver results in a fast-moving company with a wide variety of strategic initiatives
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.