Compass, headquartered in NYC, is building the most advanced real estate technology in the world. Founded in 2012, Compass operates in 15 markets across the country with over 7,000 real estate agents nationwide. With support from top investors such as Softbank, Fidelity, Wellington, and IVP, Compass is experiencing massive growth and helping everyone find their place in the world.
Compass is looking for an exceptional Controller to play a key role in developing a world class Accounting department based in New York City.
At Compass You Will:
- Oversee the general accounting function, which includes management of the monthly close process, cash account reconciliation, financial reporting, and general ledger
- Ensure the accuracy of the general ledger and subsidiary ledgers, including month-end and annual closings; oversee the maintenance of supporting schedules and reconciliations
- Ensures that company financial records are maintained in compliance with company policies and US GAAP. Responsible for reviewing monthly/quarterly account reconciliations and other documents to ensure this compliance.
- Responsible for proper timing and application of revenue recognition rules.
- Accountable for ensuring that policies and procedures (internal controls) are in place to provide reasonable assurance that the company assets are protected.
- Coordinates work relating to external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records. Is further responsible for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings
- Provides technical accounting GAAP guidance and support to all company entities. At times, this may include involvement in due diligence and other activities surrounding acquisitions/dispositions.
- Assist with development, review and analysis of the Annual Operating Plan
- Lead quarterly and annual consolidations process
- Prepare the monthly, quarterly and year-end GAAP financial statements
- Collaborate on developing the long-term plans and strategic goals for the Accounting department
- Manage a team, and take a strong interest in developing the careers of the team members
What We Are Looking For:
- Minimum of 15 years of experience, including manager experience in public accounting
- CPA required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, internal controls and financial reporting, required.
- Experience working in accounting department of a publicly traded, Sarbanes-Oxley compliant company strongly recommended
- Demonstrated ability to improve processes and procedures
- Self-starter, positive attitude, zero ego, and ability to problem-solve with minimal supervision
- Proven experience building, mentoring, motivating and leading high performance teams and attracting and retaining top talent.
- Ability to interact with senior management with confidence and credibility
- Excellent communication and leadership skills are mandatory
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks within an open and interactive environment
- Proactive, always seeking additional responsibility
- Must have a passion for getting things done, and an appreciation for details.
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.