Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate high performing team players who can take new challenges and go the extra mile.
The Controller will be responsible for a wide variety of tasks associated with the financial statement preparation, financial reporting, financial control and accounting policies within the Accounting Organization. This position will have a thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and experience in consolidated financial reporting including SEC compliance.
This position will have a strong background in all areas of accounting, to include Revenue Recognition, Invoicing & Collections, Technical Accounting, General Ledger including compliance related to non-U.S. entities, Monthly Financial Closing, Debt, Stock-based Compensation, Tax, Internal and External Reporting, and the management of audits of both Internal & External Auditors. Experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is essential to integrate applications to manage and automate the business.
This position will have primary responsibility for establishing, enhancing and monitoring internal controls in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance standards.
This position will liaison with internal customers and external vendors on business results, transactions and projects. The Controller will drive policy development and process improvement optimizing department processes and building lasting relationships. The successful candidate must be highly technical, analytical, organized and possess a high aptitude for problem solving, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills. Additionally, the successful candidate will adapt quickly to change and will champion the advancement of processes and controls in Order to Cash and Record to Report that will enhance the accounting and overall finance function. This position reports to the VP, Finance.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Determine appropriate US GAAP accounting treatment for all company business initiatives in relation to accounting required for proper financial statement preparation.
- Sarbanes-Oxley compliance readiness including developing, establishing, implementing and maintaining requisite controls and procedures to support the financial system and operational processes. Work closely with Internal Audit to develop, establish, remediate and implement additional controls as needed.
- Schedule and assure timely completion of Monthly, Quarterly and Year End Financial Closing.
- Ensure that account activity and balances are audited for accuracy/reasonableness and reconciled regularly.
- Develop and implement procedures for streamlining the accrual process including support needed to properly complete a review and audit.
- Lead the updating and creation of accounting policies and procedures as required, including ASC 606 and 842.
- Design and roll out an internal reporting package that includes financial and operational reporting metrics and would serve as the company’s MD&A.
- Management of all aspects of the General Ledger.
- Supervision and training of the Revenue & General Accounting Group, Financial Reporting & Tax Teams.
- Deliver results under tight deadlines. Maintain a "big-picture" focus while ensuring short-term goals are accomplished. Mentor, motivate and provide guidance to staff.
- Primary liaison with External Auditors.
- Drive improvements to internal processes and work collaboratively with the Financial Planning & Analysis, Infrastructure and Engineering teams to consult and inform on financial statement impact and reporting and to increase employee value creation.
- Interact with various levels of management on significant matters often requiring coordination between various organizations.
- Provide positive support and interaction with co-workers, internal customers and business partners.
- Work closely with Corporate Systems and key business owners to drive key system initiatives and improvements.
- Ensure information systems are scalable and adequate for the volume and complexity of transactions as well as for analyzing financial data.
- Complete other special analyses and project assignments as directed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting Required. Designation of Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Required. Master’s Degree in Accounting or Finance a strong plus.
- Progressively more responsible experience with a combination of public accounting and private company experience in accounting, auditing and finance, with working knowledge of US GAAP interpretation and financial statement preparation a must.
- Strong process improvement execution. Ability to develop and communicate effective ways to measure improvement.
- Strong leadership skills and fine-tuned people management abilities
- Ability to manage the day to day activities of professional accounting staff and collaborate with peers, and other financial management as well as external audit personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and define accounting problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement effective solutions. Ability to be exacting, thorough and attentive to detail, while still meeting deadlines required.
- Excellent organizational ability required to handle multiple priorities.
- Strong desire to learn; self-motivated; takes initiative and can work independently.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service focus.
- Experience and advanced knowledge of various accounting systems such as SAP 4/Hana, NetSuite, Oracle, and Microsoft Office, is required.
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Finance team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!