Controller at The Farmer's Dog
WHO WE ARE
The Farmer’s Dog was created to radically improve the $90 billion global pet food industry — starting with a subscription service that sends freshly-made food directly to customers’ doors. Long term, our aim is to simplify every part of pet care, bettering the lives of the animals who make our lives better. We recently raised our Series B and are backed by early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, Sweetgreen, and Glossier.
Join The Farmer’s Dog team as we continue to figure out ways of bringing peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
WHAT’S THE ROLE?
The Farmer's Dog is hiring a Controller who is ready, willing and able to immerse themselves in every facet of our business and begin building an internal accounting process to enhance and support our meteoric growth. Through the development of the Accounting team and implementation of sophisticated systems and controls you will lead all aspects of financial reporting, accounts payable and expense management while always looking ahead in order to proactively aid Finance, Operations and Leadership in sound decision making and strategy. You are eager to take charge and establish airtight procedures that will yield accurate and meaningful results from which the company can confidently accelerate and thrive.
The Controllership team at The Farmer’s Dog has an independent voice that is ever-active in offering new ideas to both support and guide our business.
- Take control and optimize the month-end close process – shortening the close timeline, developing a strict close calendar and implementing reliable accrual-based accounting to produce accurate and timely financial statements.
- Review and maintain a general ledger structure that is GAAP compliant and appropriately aligned to the management reporting needs of the business.
- Run a formal close review process with business partners and management team; conduct period over period flux analysis and compare actual vs. expected results in partnership with Finance.
- Manage accuracy and effectiveness of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, payroll, fixed asset records, prepaid expenses and accruals process.
- Establish, monitor and maintain impenetrable internal controls and corresponding documentation across mission-critical accounting procedures that improve the efficiency of the accounting and finance organization as well as the flow of quality, actionable information within the company.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and automation by introducing technology solutions and best practices – aid Finance and Operations in the identification and implementation of ERP.
- Develop, maintain and enforce new policies and procedures including expense reimbursement and invoice/budget approvals tracking.
- Support third-party audits and overall audit readiness of The Farmer’s Dog.
- BA/BS in Accounting with 7+ years of experience in accounting, with at least 4 years within an operating company.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting procedures in accordance with US GAAP. CPA preferred.
- Success in building, developing and leading impactful accounting organizations.
- Retail experience with physical inventory management and reporting a plus.
- ERP implementation experience.
- Unmatched attention to detail with expertise in advanced functionality of Excel and Powerpoint.
- Impeccable interpersonal skills with the ability to navigate a highly cross-functional organization and create a culture of collaboration with Accounting.
- Driven and self-motivated with a fierce work ethic and an unshakeable commitment to integrity.