Great Jones is looking for a Controller who will be a leader in our fast growing company, reporting to our Chief Financial Officer. You will own financial and operational accounting. One of the things that makes accounting and Great Jones unique is that it is also a critical part of the product that we provide our customers. We currently manage 50,000+ transactions per month across 6,000+ properties in the U.S., and growing fast. As a member of our dynamic and fast-paced team, you will be responsible for establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures. This will include distillation of customer and internal needs into workflows and processes to improve the financial services we provide to external customers and internal stakeholders. You will also have responsibility for month-end closes (initially with existing external support), transitioning us to GAAP accounting standards, establishing financial controls, ensuring our financial statements are accurate, managing an external audit and co-leading implementation of new financial system/s. Ensuring compliance and reporting with existing and future financing activities will also be critical.
Success for this role will be measured by the ability to drive financial accuracy and control of our accounting function internally and externally. Near-term, the emphasis will be the ability to deliver ideas, form recommendations and drive execution on redesign of core operational accounting and business processes to achieve dramatic improvements in quality, scalability and productivity. You’ll partner closely with other teams driving operational efficiency and customer delight – Operations, Customer Experience, Technology & Sales. You will also build up financial processes, systems and controls to allow us to achieve our goals and meet audit standards.
As Controller, you can expect to be focused on the following:
- Establish financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems across operational and financial accounting
- Put the customer first. Consistently improve and enhance our capabilities to deliver best-in-class service to our customers, including incredibly high attention to detail amid high complexity
- Deliver and optimize customer-facing and internal reporting functionality
- Partner with Engineering and other teams to articulate internal product requirements that will drive a streamlined workflow and implement new tools to reduce manual input, increase accuracy and deliver an enhanced customer experience
- Ensure accounting policies and practices comply with accounting standards, including US GAAP
- Plan and manage activities to support external audit and compliance requirements
- Develop and implement of plans to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of financial systems and the close process
- Develop, motivate, and retain top talent. Provide mentorship to support development of a high performing accounting team
This role is based in NYC and supervises a team located in NYC and other Great Jones markets.
- At least 10 years of work experience with 5+ in a highly cross-functional accounting department with leadership experience
- Successful experience scaling a business with finance and operational system and process implementation
- Experience hiring, developing and inspiring a high performing team
- Experience meeting strict demands for tight controls from external parties (e.g., enterprise customers, audit)
- Business acumen -- you understand the balance between business and customer needs in simplifying and automating manual processes
- A proven track record of success in goal attainment
- Experience in a $100M+ revenue company and/or public accounting experience with understanding of US GAAP and PCAOB standards
- CPA required
- Previous startup experience is a plus
- Real estate/property accounting experience is a plus
- You have high intellectual horsepower, creativity, and leadership DNA
- You have high attention to detail
- You are curious and proactive in understanding the why’s and not just accepting things as is
- You embrace growth, continuous operational improvement and service excellence
- You are excited to execute hands-on to learn quickly and achieve real wins in a fast-paced environment
- You think in terms of playbooks and how to operationalize exceptional experiences
- You are on an unending quest to improve processes and strip out time & cost that don’t create value for our customers
- You are known for rolling up your sleeves and persisting through anything that gets in your way; no balls are dropped in your organization because at last resort, nothing gets past you
- You set clear, objective, & transparent goals, then take full ownership and attain them, no matter what
- As an attentive listener, you enjoy how being on the front line allows you and your team to relay the voice of the customer through your thoughtful synthesis
- You are ego-free and a strong collaborator who values great ideas from all people at all levels of the organization and engages in dialogue to reach recommendations and conclusions
- You inspire and motivate team members and are able to translate business goals into priorities and individual performance measures aligned with goals
- You move fast
About Great Jones:
Great Jones brings ease and performance to rental ownership and living, starting by reinventing property management for the several trillion (!) dollars in rental homes owned by small-scale investors.
We’re replacing an experience that has historically been heavily operational, low-tech, and stressful with one delivered through modern software, thoughtful experience design, real benefits of scale, and the right blend of local & centralized operations.
By providing a seamless, full-service experience for owners and residents, we aim to make ownership worry-free and more profitable for the 25 million Americans who own rental homes. In doing so, we become the operating system around our owners’ most valuable investments, as well as our residents’ homes.
And we’re doing this within an enormous addressable market, with highly attractive unit economics, where competition is deeply fragmented and notorious for subpar service.
We are growing rapidly with nationwide expansion on deck -- headquartered in Manhattan with on-the-ground operations in 20 markets across 9 states.
Our leadership team has built digital platforms and operational machines that have powered hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of transactions for marketplace businesses like 1stdibs, Skillshare, and Warby Parker.
We’ve raised over $30 million (including our recently closed Series B) from top investors including Crosslink Capital, Navitas Capital, Zigg Capital, Juxtapose, and top NYC angels & real estate entrepreneurs including Kevin Ryan, David Rosenblatt, and Jason Finger, who have founded or led companies such as Seamless, Gilt Groupe, MongoDB, DoubleClick, 1stdibs, Floored, and others.