Director, Accounting and Controller at Justworks
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.The job
As Director of Accounting and Controller, you’ll help implement and maintain a system of internal controls that will ensure that company assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with all financial policies, SEC requirements and US GAAP. You will have the opportunity to work closely with multiple business partners while communicating and translating financial data into value added business information to enable the business to better identify growth opportunities, address gaps and manage risks, as well as participate in the development of Executive and Board level presentations.What you'll do
- Determine the proper short-term and long-term structure of the Accounting team
- Provide planning and prioritization for accounting team delegating and assigning projects, duties, and objectives that drive high performance
- Communicate with Executives, Senior Management and various internal departments regarding Accounting initiatives and interests
- Determine and communicate career path of team members
- Ensure that the team’s work is conducted with integrity at all times and that behavior aligns with Justworks' policies, procedures, and core competencies.
- Analyze revenue and expenditure trends and ensure expenditure control
- Oversee preparation of financial reports and monthly closing
- Oversee audit and tax functions, coordinate activities with outside audit firms and review company performance
- Provides technical accounting GAAP guidance and support to all internal stakeholders
- Ensures that company financial records, under responsibility, are maintained in compliance with company policies and US GAAP.
- Coordinates work relating to both internal and external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records
- Successfully blends regulatory requirements and business strategy in the decision process
- Accountable for ensuring that policies and procedures (internal controls) are in place in relation to AP to provide reasonable assurance that the company assets are protected
- Involved in validating/designing suggested changes to ensure accounting requirements continue to be met in relation to AP
- Supervise the completion of Federal and State tax reporting requirements (including income, property, sales and use, payroll and other local taxes), insurance reports and other reports required by government regulation
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration with an emphasis in Accounting, or a related field
- Ideal candidate has 5 to 10 years of experience in field, preferably at a public company
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) license required
- Previous experience as an accountant, accounting supervisor, or manager (preferably at a Big 4)
- Excellent computer skills; experience in accounting software and Microsoft Office Suite; Access, database, or other system knowledge
- Proficiency with accounting software and experience with a software system implementation
- Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting best practices, laws, standards, and state/national regulations
- Analytical ability to develop and implement improvements or recommendations
- Attention to detail
- Able to work well with senior executives and team, as well as mentor/lead other team members
Visa sponsorship for this role is currently not available.Diversity at Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.