Director, Accounting & Compliance at Major League Baseball
The Director of Accounting & Compliance is responsible for directing the day to day operations of various MLB general ledgers, intercompany transactions, regulatory filings, planning and coordination of the Audit and Annual reports, and assist in the administration of the MLB Trust. The Director of Accounting & Compliance is also responsible for enforcing financial policies, procedures, internal controls, and involvement in business process reengineering initiatives. The Director of Accounting & Compliance will work closely with the finance team as well as labor, legal, HR, IT and club finance representatives.
- Approval of Journal entries as required.
- Overseeing reconciliation of all Balance Sheet and Profit & Loss Accounts.
- Managing the financial close in JDE.
- Month and YTD variance analysis.
- Overseeing month and YTD intercompany account reconciliations.
- Approval of routine cash transfers to settle outstanding intercompany balances.
Foreign Office Reporting
- Oversee Senior Accountant responsible for all consolidation of foreign office financial data.
- Work closely with tax team to understand all transfer pricing adjustments and ensure appropriate recordkeeping.
- Coordinating the Client Assist schedule with Auditors.
- Planning and coordinating the dissemination of information to the auditors.
- Preparation of the financial statements to be attached to the audit report.
- Sign off on all GAAP checklists for the Audit.
- Preparation, analysis, interpreting, and reporting financial data at the end of each month.
- Preparation of ad hoc financial reports and analysis as needed to assist in business decisions.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field is required; MBA preferred; CPA required.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience is required in a mid to senior finance and accounting role.
- Public company experience preferred, but not required.
- Proficient knowledge of GAAP and related financial reporting regulations and standards.
- Proven track record and possesses strong leadership skills to effectively manage a diverse team to achieve results and execute transformative organizational change.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and delegate as needed.
- Qualitative abilities including strong analytical skills and forecasting skills, technical proficiency, effective problem-solving skills and strong ability to interpret statistical and accounting information/reports.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to work under pressure and cultivate and develop key relationships.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required along with the ability to influence others and interface with external contacts, internal management, and accounting and finance team.
- Ability to present financial information effectively.
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems (preferably JDE/Oracle Fusion).