Director of Credit Strategy at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better.com is growing and we’re looking for a Director of Credit Strategy to join our team. If you’re looking to make an impact alongside a collaborative team that’s transforming the homeownership industry, check us out. We are looking for an organized leader who is comfortable leading by example, while operating in the weeds.
Beyond producing high-quality loans and managing priorities, our goal is to build a product that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. To do this, we need you to wear many hats, ranging from a visionary redesigning the needlessly complex mortgage process; a data analyst uncovering how to make the most impact; to a problem solver working with highly skilled engineers and industry experts to resolve technical and operational challenges.
What you’ll do as the Director of Credit Strategy:
- Build and scale Credit Risk team from an early stage and create and deploy strategy for all of Better’s existing and future consumer credit programs.
- Responsible for building, coaching, mentoring and developing the team
- Manage all aspects of credit policies & procedures and product matrices
- Maintain a current view of industry trends, consumer lending underwriting
- Serve as key opinion leader on credit risk strategy, partner closely with the Head of Underwriting and Head of Mortgage Operations
- Define the company credit risk policy and drive production of related technology
- Drive logic in automation of underwriting and create efficiencies across the business using automation tools
- Monitor all Agency/investor announcements and guideline changes, collaborate on and create new product offerings
- Maintain and develop product matrices, credit policy and procedures
- Responsible to come with ideas, capability to influence, and execute with speed in an agile fintech environment
- Improve test & learn strategy discipline, and conduct monthly reviews with senior management to proactively identify risks and opportunities for the products
- Manage the documentation, distribution and training of underwriting guidelines across Notable products, adhering to credit policy
What the ideal candidate looks like:
We are looking for an enthusiastic, driven, and resourceful Director of Credit Risk/Strategy to accelerate our rapidly growing organization. This person will partner closely with the Head of Underwriting and Head of Mortgage Operations and serve as the company subject matter expert on Credit Risk. We are looking for an experienced and proven leader that is comfortable managing people and driving measurable results.
- Proven leader in all aspects of credit policy, risk analysis and underwriting
- Focused and adept problem-solver with excellent analytical strengths
- You have at least 10+ years experience working in the credit risk and have also worked within the mortgage space
- Comfortable having the freedom to come up with new programs and policies to take to market
- You are capable of working with ambiguity and adaptable to a quickly changing environment
- You have experience juggling multiple tasks and projects at any given time
- You are data driven with a strong understanding the underlying methodologies used to inform decision making
- Very strong analytical skills, combined with an ability to communicate conclusions of analysis with a high degree of clarity, and in a succinct, clear, and compelling fashion
- You have critical attention to detail and an ability to effectively balance big-picture strategic work with execution
- Track record in his/her career in roles demonstrating a consistent record of personal and professional growth
- Experienced in managing people and scaling teams
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.