Director of Finance at Tribune Publishing
The position will be a key business partner to the NYDN’s executive leadership directly supporting the teams in all budgeting and tracking matters.
Reporting directly to the Corporate VP of Finance, activities include managing and maintaining the company’s strategic and operating plans, overseeing the Finance teams, providing expert financial support to the various cross functional teams for restructuring, revenue opportunities, and new partnerships and/or M&A activities. He/she is ultimately responsible for the NYDN’s financial reporting integrity, budget and forecast, accounting procedures, policies and control environment.
- Responsible to the NYDN’s executive leadership team and Corporate VP of Finance in monitoring the NYDN’s profitability so that the NYDN can attain its annual revenue and AEBITDA goals.
- Provide direction and communication to the various departments in the company regarding development of planning assumptions, strategies, action plans and financial impact.
- Provide financial support and expertise throughout the company including cash flow analyses, variance reporting, short-term and long-term range profitability analysis and financial projections.
- Provide a review process for the company’s performance, products, programs against plan.
- Partner with the advertising sales team to provide critical support and analysis for driving ad revenue perfomance
- Ensure that accounting procedures are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Tribune Publishing’s policies.
- Provide business support in evaluation of new business endeavors, special projects and other development initiatives.
- Lead and energize the NYDN’s finance team, building a high-performance team and culture
- Provide leadership and direction to staff. Ensure that the reports and analyses are accurate and relevant to management decision-making.
- Bring a collaborative, hands-on approach to the work, and focus on team members’ careers and professional development
- Ensure that the finance team provides exceptional service to all internal and external customers.
- Serve as the primary liaison for both internal and external financial, SOX and other audits.
- Support the larger corporate group in advising on key growth strategies
- Support M&A and Corporate Development Teams in new business partnerships and acquisitions in the New York market
- Working relationships:
- Key finance professionals across the organization
- Regular communication and contact with senior management and managers of other divisions regarding procedure, policy and compliance as well as profitability analysis of various products.
- Working relationships exist with the Publishing Group Corporate Office, Circulation Shared Services, Internal Auditors, and External Auditors.
- Solid mix of FP&A, Business Partnership and Operational Controllership experience
- Proven track-record in developing excellent working relationship with finance and non-finance people
- Strong attention to detail while being able to communicate the bigger picture and lead meetings
- Four-year college education with a major in accounting/finance.
- Professional Finance Qualifications (CPA / CIMA / ACCA or equivalent), MBA preferred.
- SOX and Internal Control experience
- Should possess in-depth knowledge of planning and project management. Strong communication, organizational, analytical and management skills are required.
- Requires a broad-based knowledge of the newspaper, the digital media / entertainment industry and other related businesses. Should possess good business instincts and judgment.
- Requires a minimum of 10 years of management experience in planning or accounting