Director of Investing, Betterment for Business at Betterment
Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more www.betterment.com.About the Role:
Betterment’s Investing Team provides the domain expertise required to build all product solutions that deliver financial advice to its customers. Integrated closely with the Trading, Operations, and Product teams, we engage in rigorous R&D and iteration to create long-term value and efficiencies for our clients. As our Director of Investing, you will be responsible for leading the Investing Team’s efforts to support the Betterment for Business (B4B) 401(k) service.. This role requires a strong and experienced leader that can be the first line of response for meeting the B4B team’s multi-faceted needs for domain expertise, analytical support, and product support. As the B4B business grows, your responsibilities will be expected to grow as well.
Betterment for Business is a 401(k) service built from the ground up with the needs of the modern employee in mind. It's selected by employers who want to offer their employees tailored and smart financial advice that will help them create a more secure future. Betterment for Business is powered by Betterment's proprietary, smart technology that automates and optimizes asset allocation to enhance financial wellness.
We are hiring in all states except CO.A Day in the Life:
- Ensure that the B4B Team’s needs are always top of mind for the Investing team as it continues to build new model portfolios and investing solutions.
- Partner with Product, Trading, Engineering, and Marketing teams to help get new B4B-related, investing solutions over the line. Adapt and pivot on the approach whenever necessary.
- Directly manage at least 1 quantitative researcher who you will be collaborating with to execute on deliverables.
- Write, research and analyze content on the performance of financial markets and the macroeconomy and how both have driven recent returns on all Betterment investment portfolios.
- Develop, produce, improve, and maintain performance dashboards that are specific for supporting the B4B team’s needs for analytical support.
- Partner with the B4B team to create and deliver presentations to both clients and prospects including webinars.
- Respond to ad hoc client requests for performance data, risk analysis, high level presentations on models and related investing solutions, and other investing expertise as needed.
- More than few years of relevant work experience and comprehensive people management skills
- Ability to write code in R, Python, or similar programming language to produce the analyses and related data visualizations required for all presentation work.
- Ability to prioritize work, execute and communicate status effectively across at least 2(+) projects simultaneously
- Experience building strategic and trusted relationships with cross-functional peers and colleagues
- Influences all business units to deliver successful products and gain agreement
- Strong ability and desire to consistently evolve and optimize our processes for efficiency
- Seeks external resources (news, blogs, publications, competitive intelligence) to improve knowledge and work of the investing team and broader organization
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 4-6 weeks to complete the interview process. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.#LI-Remote #BI-Remote