Director of Taxation at Harry's Inc.
About the Team
The Finance Team collaborates as a strategic partner to all internal departments across the Company. The Company sells its products around the world through multiple channels with on-the-ground teams and offices in New York, the United Kingdom and Germany. As the Company’s revenue grow, so does the complexity of our business – we need an experienced tax leader to build out and maintain all things tax at Harry’s.
About the Role
As our Director of Tax, you’ll have a lot going on. You will play a key role in helping the Company establish an internal tax function and develop a future-state vision for the function. You’ll be managing, and coordinating with, the Company’s 3rd party tax providers and our auditors. You will cover all areas of tax across the Company, including, federal, state and local income/franchise tax, and indirect taxes (sales tax, property tax and VAT) as well as manage/execute the processes related to transfer pricing, legal entity set up / review, tax provision, intercompany agreements and tax audits. You will be working extensively with the finance teams in each of our geographies, as well as many other departments across the Company.
What you will accomplish:
- Together with the CAO, you will serve as a key member of the finance team in developing and implementing a robust tax function and processes for the Company
- Own the monthly/quarterly/annual tax provision and related tax journal entries in accordance with preparation of our US GAAP financial statements
- Oversee, coordinate with, and manage the Company’s 3rd party tax providers ensuring that all tax related issues are identified, communicated and resolved in a timely manner
- Lead the development of effective and operationally sound tax strategies to reduce future tax burdens for each subsidiary and the consolidated company
- Own transfer pricing, internal management fees, and intercompany agreements
- Develop a comprehensive list of required tax files and review all tax compliance prepared by the Company’s 3rd party tax providers
- Coordinate the tax review and audit process with the Company’s external auditors
- Independently research tax related topics, including federal, state, and international tax developments and laws that impact the Company
- Internally consult and liaise with other departments/business units regarding the tax impact of new products, acquisitions, significant transactions, etc.
You might have this background:
- 10+ years of a combination of experience within in a public accounting firm and a multi-national public company corporate tax department or high-growth start-up
- A deep understanding of U.S. income and indirect tax matters
- Exposure to US international tax regulations as well as experience in non-US tax matters
- Direct experience advising and working through HR and legal related tax matters
- Skilled in developing and executing tax planning and risk reduction strategies
- The desire and ability to initially act as a one-person team while defining the balance of internal and external resources into the future, implementing internal controls and ability to scale function cost effectively
- A track record of successful team collaboration
- Active CPA and a Masters degree in Tax a plus
- Multi-national experience a must
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills
- Sense of humor -- we take our work seriously and ourselves un-seriously
Here's who you'll work with:
- You will report to the Chief Accounting Officer in New York and the broader Global Finance team
- You will also work very cross functionally with other teams at Harry’s and be viewed as the subject matter expert for all things tax related
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.