Finance & Accounting Manager
Alice raises the take-home pay of working Americans. 156 million employees in the US are spending more and more of their budget on healthcare, childcare, and commuting. Alice uses software to add money to people’s paychecks when they spend on everyday items that are pretax eligible—with no forms, no math, no acronyms.
When employers connect Alice to their payroll system, their workers keep more of what they earn, without more work from HR. Alice is a true win-win-win. Employees take home more of what they earn, employers save on payroll taxes, and Alice is paid only from what employers save. No one pays for Alice out-of-pocket.
We’re a bright, diverse, and dedicated team solving hard problems. Our day-to-day work crosses cultures we are passionate about—venture backed-tech, government and regulators, employers and business owners, local communities, and working people. We take great pride in having team members from different backgrounds because we know that every voice matters.ABOUT THIS ROLE
We’re looking for a fullstack finance operator to join our team in Brooklyn. More than just an accounting systems pro, you care about operational excellence across the firm, and you know how important the books are in getting that right. You can easily support critical decision-making with either fast back-of-the-envelope analyses or more robust evaluations, depending on the context.
Our mission lights you up. You get that working at a startup means your work runs beyond the edges of a job title. You like the tension between analysis and speed. Maybe you want your next job to be VP Operations & Finance or COO at a startup - this role with Alice will prepare you for that.ACCOUNTABILITIES
As Alice’s Manager of Finance & Accounting, you will play a key role in giving millions of working Americans a raise. Specifically, we’ll rely on you to navigate the day-to-day challenges of owning all of Alice’s finance and operations. That includes...
FINANCIAL ANALYSIS & PLANNING
- Build and maintain a robust financial model for Alice, covering all of our operations, including growth plan, cost structure, and hiring plan.
- Maintain a financial forecast for Alice, updated monthly.
- Own financial planning workstreams, supporting CEO and department leads.
- Surface, analyze, and resolve complicated business problems (or opportunities) by supporting cross-org decision-making with data and principled analysis.
- Analyze, and support operations on, a wide range of business opportunities including M&A, investments and other strategic options.
- Analyze and evaluate various markets segments to inform business expansion opportunities
BUDGETING & OPERATIONAL ANALYSIS
- Own the budgeting process for our departments leads, including variance reports each cycle.
- Maintain up-to-date company budget, tied to forecasting and our financial model.
- Develop, track, and present monthly core financial/operating metrics to Senior Staff.
- Lead twice-monthly operating meetings with key stakeholders across the company to manage progress on target KPIs.
- Continually look for process/vendor improvements to boost the efficiency of each department.
- Own operations for accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and cash flow management - directly or via vendors. This includes selecting tools/software/packages.
- Manage monthly close process, including general ledger review, journal preparations, and analysis and reconciliation of P&L and Balance Sheet accounts.
- Oversee timely quarterly and annual close processes and accompanying reporting to key stakeholders (CEO, Senior Staff, Board of Directors, etc).
- Assist in annual tax preparations and financial audit processes.
- Develop and present monthly financial reports to Senior Staff, and field Q&A.
- Develop and present quarterly financial reports to Board of Directors, and field Q&A.
- Develop ad hoc reports for various analysis or inquiries from time to time.
You’ll get to work directly with our repeat entrepreneur founders and the rest of the Alice team. Our team has experience from awesome places like Adobe, CBS, Handshake, and Lending Tree. We’re backed by talented advisors from Grand Central Tech, and notable investors like Bain Capital, Notation Capital, and Trinity Ventures.
Alice will make sure that you have what you need to do your job with excellence, including...
- A positive and supportive team that is committed to mutual growth, development, and practicing excellence.
- Health insurance, and we pay the vast majority of the monthly cost.
- A 401K.
- The best pretax spending software under the sun, i.e. Alice, which will put money into your paychecks for commuting and other pretax eligible spending.
You’ll be a great fit for this role at Alice if...
- You’re on fire about the mission of giving working Americans a raise.
- You have 3-5 years of relevant work experience that has prepared you to do this job.
- You can point to unambiguous evidence that you’ve excelled in managing the financial functions (financial reporting, planning & budgeting, and forecasting) required to support a fast-growing company.
- You are completely fluent in Excel, and associated financial reporting tools.
- You have full understanding of accounting principles and standards, report formats and financial statements, and GAAP guidelines.
- You have a degree in accounting or finance; CPA highly preferred.
- You’ve worked - and excelled - in an accounting firm or close adjacency.
- You’ve worked in an early stage startup - ideally fintech or financial services - and loved the fast pace.
- You naturally use clean, clear communication when speaking and when writing.
- You can whip up a workable financial model faster than someone can finish explaining the question or the idea.
- You love working under pressure on tight timelines to deliver models, analyses, and recommendations that will materially advance Alice as a company.
We can't wait to meet you!