Finance & Operations Manager at theSkimm
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
We are looking to hire a Finance and Operations Manager to help scale the Finance function and support the needs of a growing company. You’ll work closely with the Accounting team and various department heads across the company. You will own key elements of the Finance function and work on initiatives that will help continue to drive our business forward.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Own the company’s financial model
- Prepare monthly reporting and materials for key executives
- Assist with budgeting and forecasting process and provide regular updates
- Prepare materials for the Board of Directors and quarterly reporting for our investors
- Partner with our Accounting team to produce monthly budget vs actual reporting and analysis for department heads
- Lead ad-hoc analyses by working with our cross-functional Paid Acquisitions, Data Science and Sales teams to drive strategic decisions across the company
- Team up with Accounting to define and implement best practices for financial management and reporting across the company
- Assist review Insertion Orders and legal documents and produce standard contracts.
- Assist with Bi-monthly report of OKRS and provide the story behind the numbers/information.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- BS/BA in finance, business, accounting or relevant field
- 2-5 years of experience in investment banking, management consulting or private equity
- Must have strong financial modeling experience and excellent Excel skills
- Must be a strong analytical thinker to be able to understand and communicate the story behind the numbers
- Strong grasp of financial fundamentals and a mastery of Excel and Powerpoint
- Self-starter with an eagerness to learn new skills (QuickBooks, Looker, Boostr) that will allow you to engage with adjacent business functions (customer acquisition, Sales operations, Data Science, People / Recruiting and Strategic Partnerships)
- Track record of thriving in a fast-paced environment; Start-up experience in a rapidly growing financial organization is a plus
- Solutions-oriented team player with ability to develop strong relationships and communicate effectively
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives. Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimm’rs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news and makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, and the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance and careers to voting, wellness and downtime. theSkimm’s product suite has expanded to include two top-rated podcasts, “Skimm This'' and “Skimm’d From the Couch,” theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money and Press Pause newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, and Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video and audio content. theSkimm’s first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 and debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And we’re not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the life’s necessity categories and expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content and audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- and the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.