Financial Controller at Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities. We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world’s developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing.
As the Controller, you will lead the accounting function for the organization. This will include overseeing the month-end close process, accounting operations (including accounts payable, accounts receivable/billing, expense reimbursements, payroll, and stock option administration), tax compliance, cash management, and insurance. In this high impact role, you will report to the VP of Finance and supervise the accounting team. You will work directly with the Executive Team and Department Heads to implement systems, improve processes and establish accounting policies for our next stage of growth.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of accounting team to produce timely and accurate financial information for management and external reporting purposes
- Develop and execute roadmap for implementing/improving processes and controls to scale the accounting function and safeguard assets
- Establish operational metrics and cadence for financial reporting
- Maintain 13 week cash forecast
- Develop strategy for future system implementations and enhancements/upgrades including the implementation of Zuora, Xactly and Avalara
- Hire, manage and coach a strong, performance-oriented accounting organization, capable of growing with the business
- Provide subject matter expertise on implementation of accounting policies and the accounting for complex transactions
- Manage the audit processes and proactively communicate with auditors on accounting for complex transactions
- Ensure compliance with domestic and international tax compliance requirements
Candidates will find success in this role if:
- You're excited to work cross-functionally and learn how to best support different departments
- You’re comfortable identifying and executing the highest priority projects, but know when to escalate or ask for help
- You present clear and well-documented work that can be easily followed by a non-financial person
- You can make financial results digestible and are comfortable in one-on-one meetings to through all-hands presentations
- You have a CPA and experience working in public accounting and in-house at a late-stage venture backed SaaS company
- You are very comfortable working with industry standard accounting software. We currently use Intacct as our ERP Zuora as our billing platform and various supporting software’s such as bill.com, Floqast, Avalara, Expensify, ADP and Xactly.
- 10+ years of accounting experience in a senior accounting or financial management role
- Successful candidates must have an active CPA
- Experience preparing consolidated financial statements across multiple entities, including international accounting
- Must be a hands-on, roll up your sleeves type Controller that enjoys a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Solid knowledge of US GAAP and SaaS/Adtech revenue recognition models
- BS/BA or equivalent degree in Accounting or other related field
- Public accounting experience is a strong plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with all levels of employees
- Solid organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive base salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Flexible hours
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Great office w/ espresso bar, games, and free daily lunches
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Transportation reimbursement
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.