We're Brigit, a financial health app for the everyday American. By using cash flow data to automate finances, not only do we help people today, but also empower them to start saving for tomorrow and permanently transform their financial future. Brigit analyzes data from billions of individual bank transactions and formulates a deep understanding of each member’s cash-flow mismatches and spending habits. Using that data, we're able to send no-fee predictive advances and help millions of Americans avoid late payment fees, predatory overdraft fees, and interest rates. Our initial product is focused on disrupting the predatory $44 Billion payday loan and overdraft market and our future products will continue to empower and improve the lives of over 100M underserved Americans!
We are looking to hire a Head of Risk to expand and improve our underwriting as well as manage our loan portfolio. The role requires the candidate to have extensive experience in underwriting, using alternative data (non FICO, ideally cash flow data), and has expertise in the underserved/subprime market.
Brigit’s algorithms adapts to changes in our users behaviors in real time since we evaluate our customers on their bank transactional data and thus also monitor the performance of our outstanding book in real time.
This is a management level role and the individual will also be contribute to our overall strategy including impact capital markets. The role is critical for our ability to continue to scale our business.
- Setting the strategy, and remaining hands on with the implementation, around our credit/risk process
- Understanding business constraints and operating metrics and translating them into achievable goals and KPIs and targets within the Risk organization
- Creating a roadmap for our underwriting and customer scoring process, determining what new data to use, new techniques, and how to improve our approval rates while still keeping delinquency at an acceptable level
- Monitoring the performance of our existing customer base, to understand the health of our book
- Managing a team to produce reports on underwriting and portfolio performance, highlighting areas for improvement and putting together plans for improving them
- Building and deploying risk models by constructing experiments/tests, evaluating results and working with Engineering to get the code out into production Building and managing a small team of data scientists and risk analysts to make sure that our lending operations run smoothly
- Being compliant of regulatory constraints, financial covenants and other obligations and making sure we remain compliant in our Risk operations
What You Have
- 7+ Years in Retail/Consumer Lending in a Risk Management or Underwriting role
- Experience working with alternative data for underwriting is a necessity (non-FICO). Bank transactional data is a plus
- Ideally, on the job experience with data science/machine learning/modeling and corresponding toolkits (eg. Python, Scikit-learn, R, SQL, Spark)
- An understanding of different modeling and machine learning methods (e.g. regressions, classification algorithms, etc.) helpful
- Ideally comfortable writing and reviewing code, especially early on.
- Experience managing small to medium size teams (3-5 people)
- Early stage startup experience is a strong plus
- You are passionate about making a social impact and want to help build a business that dramatically improves people’s lives
We're backed by leading VC's, including DCM, Canaan Partners, NYCA, and a number of the world's most influential social impact investors. If autonomy, ownership and having a meaningful say in the direction of the Company you work for is important to you, then come join our growing team!
Our Benefits & Team
Competitive compensation package with stock options at a high-growth startup
Day 1 benefit coverage for health, dental, and vision
Offer competitive paid parental leave policy
Dog friendly office
Employee wellness initiatives
Monthly phone/internet reimbursements
At Brigit, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Read Full Job Description