Head of Finance & Strategy at Orchard
Orchard is transforming the way people buy and sell their homes. Simplifying it, to the way it should have always been; fair and true to market, straightforward, easy. Every year in the U.S., $1.5 trillion of single-family residences transact, generating over $120 billion of fees in a process that has changed little in decades. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle.
Orchard offers a modern alternative, making one of life's biggest decisions – the sale and purchase of a home – stress free, fair and simple.
Orchard launched in 2017 and was previously known as Perch. The company is headquartered in New York City, has 150+ employees and has grown 10x year over year. We have raised over $300 million in financing from top tier investors including: Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose.
We are proud to be recognized by Inc. Magazine as a best workplace of 2020 and have a 4.9 Glassdoor rating!
Role and Responsibilities
The Head of Finance & Strategy will be a critical member of the Orchard team, located in New York, NY. This position will report to Sean Roberts, Chief Financial Officer / Head of Finance and Real Estate, and it will have broad responsibility across the Company’s strategic finance areas, including: business intelligence / reporting, financial planning and analysis, and capital markets / investor relations (both equity and debt).
As the Head of Finance & Strategy, you will:
- Collaborate with Orchard's CFO and broader executive team, other finance functions, underwriting/investments team, and operational teams across the company.
- Thought partner with executive team to lead business case and scenario analysis to drive intelligent decisions which inform company strategy.
- Lead team that develops and maintains financial forecasts for the business and tracks key variances, changes and opportunities in actual results vs forecasts.
- Lead team that generates, maintains and automates financial and operational reporting, including weekly, monthly and quarterly packages for key internal and external stakeholders.
- Partner with the CFO/ Head of Real Estate (and many other stakeholders) to ensure all operating and financial metrics are properly defined, monitored, and being met. You (and your team) will monitor both asset-level and market-level KPIs/metrics on a daily, weekly and monthly basis and help operating teams develop initiatives to optimize them
- Be responsible for maintaining the company’s financial model and unit economics for presentation to internal stakeholders, the Board and investors.
- Oversee annual budgeting process and long-term strategic planning from a financial perspective.
- Partner with our internal Accounting team on monthly close process, financial reporting, and preparation of GAAP financial statements; work with the CFO and Controller to define and implement best practices for financial management and reporting across the Company.
- Be actively involved with capital markets activities, including equity fundraising and debt financing; closely involved with the CFO and CEO.
- Be a champion for Orchard!
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, or a related field. MBA preferred, but not required
- At least 7+ years professional experience. 5+ years within FP&A function or private equity/growth equity/ venture capital investment background preferred.
- Strong understanding of corporate finance concepts and accounting principles.
- Proven ability to build & manage high performing finance teams.
- Experience developing highly complex financial models and developing reporting packages, preferably at a high-growth company.
- History of successfully leading business case analysis and planning processes which set strategy through a financial lens, then tracking the plan to report on its progress over time.
- Experience participating in debt & equity financing processes.
- Proven track record of success in exceptional goal achievement.
- Experience working in a technology-driven environment.
- Exceptionally advanced Excel and financial modeling skills; strong PowerPoint skills.
- Proficiency with a business intelligence tool (ideally Looker) and basic SQL proficiency are desired.
- You think like an investor: Capable of high-level strategic thinking (seeing the “bigger picture”) while simultaneously being able to dive into granular details -- all through a quantitative, financial lens
- You execute like an entrepreneur: High energy and action-oriented with a history of getting things done in complex, fast moving environments. Successful in scrappy and entrepreneurial environments, with a drive to get things done
- Exceptionally strong analytical skills with relentless attention to detail backed by a data-driven mentality. Genuine intellectual curiosity
- Track record of good business judgment with maturity, diplomacy, and strong leadership and communication skills (both written and verbal). Can run processes and meetings independently
- Highly effective at building collaborative relationships across our entire organization.
- An entrepreneur who sees ambiguity as opportunity, and obstacles as opportunities to build new solutions
- Demonstrated ability to roll-up sleeves and work with team members (at all levels of the Company) in a hands-on management capacity
- Results orientation with a strong work ethic. Must be tenacious, with the emotional intelligence to know when to push harder and when to look for alternative approaches. Solutions-focused mindset
- A strong multi-tasker with the ability to prioritize work based on business and operational needs. Ability to manage time effectively
- Ability to work under high pressure and to meet deadlines
- People describe you as: Passionate, a leader, a strong communicator, and someone that “gets things done.”