Head of Investigations
Help us Build the Future of Money
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department: Compliance
Compliance at Gemini is a team dedicated to managing the next generation of financial services compliance and financial crime in a complex and evolving regulatory environment. We are a diverse group of technology, legal, operational and compliance professionals who develop new approaches to solving classic problems using cutting edge tools and processes.
The Role: Head of Investigations
In this role, you will manage a team of experienced investigators responsible for critical functions within the Compliance and AML/BSA/Sanctions program. These include but are not limited to Level 3 analysis and adjudication of Transaction Monitoring alerts, sanctions screening/analysis review, SAR filings and review, subpoena responses and analysis, 314(b) reviews and other critical components/development of the compliance program from a senior manager perspective. This position will have frequent interaction with regulators, firm senior management, and third party vendors/auditors.
This role will also work alongside the rest of the Compliance and Compliance management team, you will partner closely with key internal stakeholders (Including C-level personnel) across Compliance, Risk, Corporate Development, Account Management, Engineering, Financial & Treasury Operations, Fraud and Operations as we work to enhance Gemini’s high standards in this groundbreaking territory.
- Lead and Manage the Investigations and sanctions teams/functions
- Manage and sign-off on SAR filings, subpoenas, Transaction Monitoring, 314(a)/(b) and other critical requirements of the program
- Liaise with other senior members of the department/firm to maintain a best in class AML/BSA/Sanctions program that evolves and grows with regulatory expectations
- Work jointly with engineering/data etc. to build and implement new systems and procedures designed to combat against financial crime
- Act as a mentor and advocate for more junior staff as they build out their capabilities
- Participate in ad-hoc remediation or business specific projects which may include examinations and/or external audits.
- BA/BS degree in a business/legal related field (accounting/economics etc.) - Advanced degree/certifications preferred (JD/MBA/CAMS/CFE etc.)
- 10+ years of relevant work and management experience within the financial services, digital asset and/or management consulting space focusing on financial crime and/or compliance
- Sanctions experience/knowledge (OFAC/FinCen experience is desirable)
- Comfort in public speaking and working with/presenting to senior level stakeholders, regulators and law enforcement authorities
- Substantial writing skills and ability to articulate effectively in Policy/Procedural documentation
- Authorization to work in the United States and fluency in English
- Experience leading qualified teams of investigators and analysts
- Expert level knowledge of regulatory expectations and industry standards in relation to AML/BSA/Sanctions regulations.
- Ability to adapt to an ever changing regulatory environment in order to implement policies/procedures designed to keep the platform/ecosystem safe/secure
- Leader in the field of KYC, Transaction Monitoring, Sanctions and AML/BSA as it relates to a new and developing technology/financial industry.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Ownership in the company via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, 401k match contribution, and flexible hours
- Snacks, Perks, Wellness Outings & Events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.