Head of Strategic Finance
Who we are:
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations and leading commercial partners, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, accepting capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year we’ll grow quickly, including entering new markets, developing new partnerships, and expanding the size of our team. This role is a vital contributor to our success.
Cityblock’s Head of Strategic Finance will lead our financial planning and corporate accounting functions across our headquarters and multi-state entities. This role will launch operational systems and controls and provide insight to our executives, board, and investors on the financial state of Cityblock Health and affiliated corporate entities.
You will have the opportunity to design financial operations that are built to flex and scale with us as we face rapid growth that demands regular, timely, and accurate views into our monthly cash flow and budget-to-actual spend. In this position, you will have the opportunity to both create new systems and provide detailed oversight of existing workflows. A strong leader in this role will build deep working relationships both internally, across our varied business functions, and externally with our partner teams and vendors. You will direct our outsourced back-office finance team and PEO, who collectively manage the day-to-day activities for accounts payable, payroll, financial statements and reporting, tax filing, and bank accounts.
If you have an entrepreneurial mindset, seek out multidimensional opportunities and challenges, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
- Develop and oversee an enterprise-grade FP&A program and all necessary Controller capabilities. Own transaction finance responsibility for multi-million dollar inflows and outflows.
- Proactively identify risks and improvement opportunities, and then serve as an advisor to senior leadership address those concerns.
- Provide strategic financial leadership by working closely with internal departments in developing budgets, providing variance analysis, and assisting in expense planning and cost control.
- Own back-office vendor suite of relationships, including PEO, Payroll, Cap-table management, Accounts Payable, Banking, Capital Management, and more.
- Support timely, complete, and accurate books close process across a multi-state, multi-entity organization. Prepare executive level reporting, dashboards and ad hoc analyses for consumption by c-suite, board of directors, and key investment partners.
- Lead the internal implementation of improved controls, ensuring maintenance of appropriate financial procedures under US GAAP and STAT compliance and statutory reporting.
- Coordinate across the team, working closely with department leads, to produce rolling FP&A function that can keep up with and stay ahead of our rapid growth.
- Prepare the company for, and lead the executive team through, external audits.
- Play a key role in preparing financials and capital strategy for future fundraising and M&A activities.
- Support cross-functional teams in developing relevant financial metrics to tightly track progress and performance across the company’s operations.
You’d be a good fit if:
- 10+ years of work experience, early stage startup experience preferred
- Healthcare experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business. MBA and CPA preferred
- Experience building key components or the full-stack of a SMB corporate finance department
- Expertise on consolidated financial reporting, tax and compliance matters
- You thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, ambitious startup environment
- You enjoy building scalable processes from scratch and implementing new tools that are designed for growth
- You have excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills and are able to easily assimilate into teams
- You are hands-on and not afraid to dive into the details
- You are process oriented but also know how to build flexible, iterative workflows with a customer-service mindset
- You are deeply passionate about our mission and excited by how this role will drive the Company’s success
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
- A short (2-3 paragraph) cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.