Head of Strategic Finance at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs, bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs and some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are—bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. We will get started in new markets, each with their own operating structure and care teams, and continue to grow in the communities where we are working already. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To deliver a radically better experience of care to our members and advance equity in the communities we serve, we strive to make our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bridging together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels like they belong, are valued, respected, and celebrated as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
Cityblock’s Head of Strategic Finance will lead our financial planning and corporate accounting functions across our headquarters and multi-state entities. This role will launch operational systems and controls and provide insight to our executives, board, and investors on the financial state of Cityblock Health and affiliated corporate entities.
You will have the opportunity to design financial operations that are built to flex and scale with us as we face rapid growth that demands regular, timely, and accurate views into our monthly cash flow and budget-to-actual spend. In this position, you will have the opportunity to both create new systems and provide detailed oversight of existing workflows. A strong leader in this role will build deep working relationships both internally, across our varied business functions, and externally with our partner teams and vendors. You will direct our outsourced back-office finance team and PEO, who collectively manage the day-to-day activities for accounts payable, payroll, financial statements and reporting, tax filing, and bank accounts.
If you have an entrepreneurial mindset, seek out multidimensional opportunities and challenges, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
- Develop and oversee an enterprise-grade FP&A program and all necessary Controller capabilities. Own transaction finance responsibility for multi-million dollar inflows and outflows.
- Proactively identify risks and improvement opportunities, and then serve as an advisor to senior leadership address those concerns.
- Provide strategic financial leadership by working closely with internal departments in developing budgets, providing variance analysis, and assisting in expense planning and cost control.
- Own back-office vendor suite of relationships, including PEO, Payroll, Cap-table management, Accounts Payable, Banking, Capital Management, and more.
- Support timely, complete, and accurate books close process across a multi-state, multi-entity organization. Prepare executive level reporting, dashboards and ad hoc analyses for consumption by c-suite, board of directors, and key investment partners.
- Lead the internal implementation of improved controls, ensuring maintenance of appropriate financial procedures under US GAAP and STAT compliance and statutory reporting.
- Coordinate across the team, working closely with department leads, to produce rolling FP&A function that can keep up with and stay ahead of our rapid growth.
- Prepare the company for, and lead the executive team through, external audits.
- Play a key role in preparing financials and capital strategy for future fundraising and M&A activities.
- Support cross-functional teams in developing relevant financial metrics to tightly track progress and performance across the company’s operations.
You’d be a good fit if:
- 10+ years of work experience, early stage startup experience preferred
- Healthcare experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business. MBA and CPA preferred
- Experience building key components or the full-stack of a SMB corporate finance department
- Expertise on consolidated financial reporting, tax and compliance matters
- You thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, ambitious startup environment
- You enjoy building scalable processes from scratch and implementing new tools that are designed for growth
- You have excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills and are able to easily assimilate into teams
- You are hands-on and not afraid to dive into the details
- You are process oriented but also know how to build flexible, iterative workflows with a customer-service mindset
- You are deeply passionate about our mission and excited by how this role will drive the Company’s success
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
- A short (2-3 paragraph) cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.