About the Role
The Investment Team is looking for an investment professional to join our Legal Finance Group. The Legal Finance Group is responsible for originating and underwriting legal finance investments, including litigation funding agreements, law firm loans, and other intangible or legal-event-driven investments. To date, the Yieldstreet Legal Finance Group has invested in excess of $350M in legal finance opportunities. We are seeking to grow annual investment to over $200M per year and become one of the largest players in the nascent legal finance sector!
The Associate will be based in New York City, report to the Associate Director of Legal Finance, and will play an integral part in the growth of the Legal Finance Group and Yieldstreet's platform more broadly. In this role, you will be responsible for leading diligence on new opportunities and managing Yieldstreet’s legal finance funds. Additionally, the Associate will learn how to evaluate law firms and legal cases, construct portfolios of legal assets, and build the valuation and statistical models required to invest in legal assets.
Our investments are made across various structures and case types. We primarily bifurcate our assets into recourse law firm loans and non-recourse litigation fundings in specific lawsuits. The assets we target include mass torts, class actions, commercial breach of contract, antitrust, arbitration, securities fraud, personal injury, appraisal rights for public market acquisitions, intellectual property and patent infringement.
The ideal candidate will have a deep interest in learning about complex and esoteric assets. Legal finance is a young and constantly evolving asset class that is expected to grow rapidly as law firms, companies, and investors familiarize themselves with the benefits of unlocking and monetizing this collateral. We are in the early innings of a new investment product and the Associate will be on the cutting edge of innovation!
What you'll do:
- Collect and analyze manager and opportunity information to determine creditworthiness in accordance with underwriting guidelines
- Work with the Associate Director in underwriting structured credit transactions
- Develop investment theses and financial models that identify lawsuits and other esoteric assets with a high probability of successful outcomes
- Work with the Associate Director to present opportunities to the founder and investment committee
- Discuss financing needs with top litigation firms and legal finance investors
- Review and assist in the negotiation of transaction documentation
- Articulate financial concepts and information pertaining to opportunities through a written memorandum for internal and external audiences.
- Develop relationships with new and existing managers/originators to build a pipeline of opportunities
- Work with the Portfolio Management Group to manage on-platform investments and legal finance funds
- Assist in tasks across functions including: origination, underwriting, structuring, portfolio management, and marketing
What you'll need:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- 2-4 years of transactional credit underwriting or investment banking experience
- Experience closing credit or equity transactions
- Experience in financial statement analysis, financial modeling or financial valuation; preparing financial information
- Comfort with statistical analysis
- Excellent organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to thrive in an ambiguous and fast-paced startup environment
- Willingness to have introductory calls with the Yieldstreet Originations Team on new legal finance opportunities
Bonus points for:
- Experience investing in alternative or intangible assets
- Experience in data analysis
- Chartered Financial Analyst
- Law degree
Yieldstreet is building the largest global digital wealth management platform to change the way wealth is created. With an investor-first approach, our investor community builds a diversified portfolio of investments outside of the stock market to generate passive income. Yieldstreet is giving unprecedented access to asset classes such as Real Estate, Marine, Legal, Art & Private Business Credit. We’re headquartered in New York City with offices in Brazil, Argentina, Malta and Greece.
We offer an attractive market compensation and benefits package including a stock option plan, health, dental & vision benefits, life insurance, unlimited paid vacation, sabbatical and paid holidays and that's before you even step in the office!
This is an opportunity to work with a group of diverse, smart, and friendly people from 8 different countries who speak a total of 17 different languages. Our team is composed of successful entrepreneurs with combined exits of over $2B, and we continue to stay social during the pandemic with virtual social hours, exercise classes, meditation sessions, recipe sharing and so much more!
Yieldstreet is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.