Greater NYC Area
Strong financial analysis and forecasting enables Teachable to determine how best to deploy our resources to continue (and accelerate) our growth. We’re looking for an experienced FP&A Manager who can assess the opportunities ahead of us and help Teachable make sound business decisions. If you enjoy the challenge of transforming business questions into financial models, please consider joining our team!
You’ll be the first Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) hire and will have the opportunity to build this function from the ground up. Initially, you’ll be deep “in the weeds” developing and improving our reporting, analytical and forecasting tools, while supporting teams across the company with a variety of ad-hoc analyses. You’ll partner extensively with both our Accounting and Data teams and have the chance to influence decisions that directly impact the quality of our business. As the first person to truly “own” FP&A, you should have an entrepreneurial drive and be proactive in identifying problems and solutions, be able to interact with people across a variety of disciplines and enjoy the freedom and flexibility (and responsibility) of defining the future of this function.
This is a full-time in-person position based in our New York, NY office.
Please note that Excel is the Finance team’s primary analytical application and we operate in a Windows-based environment. While experience with Google Sheets and other applications and operating systems is a plus, you must have experience with and be comfortable using Excel on a PC
Here's what you'll do
- Partner with key business areas to develop and translate financial forecasts and operational analyses into actionable guidance that assists with decision making
- Establish, report and refine key operating metrics used to define and achieve business objectives
- Collaborate with our Financial Controller to prepare daily, weekly and/or monthly management reports/analyses to key constituents
- Proactively identify areas for business improvement and produce persuasive, data-driven arguments to support good decisions
- As needed, work on a variety of special projects that may include financings (debt and equity), product or feature launches and strategic transactions
- Over time, take ownership of our annual budget and 3 year plan and related reforecasts
- Assist in preparing materials for Board meetings, investor updates and all-hands presentations
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of FP&A or private equity or investment banking experience
- Experience with subscription dynamics / SaaS revenue recognition, including past experience in building a subscriber forecasting model and knowledge of relevant SaaS metrics
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Knowledge of financial statement analysis and accounting standards
- Strong modeling (Excel) and presentation skills, including the ability to generate a 3-statement model from scratch and build a visually appealing, easy-to-understand financial presentation
- Ability to communicate financial facts in “plain English” to those outside the Accounting/Finance team so that your insights can be turned into action
- Experience in aggregating data (sometimes imperfect data) to arrive at a defensible and well-documented analysis
- Excited to work independently and chart your own course, while knowing when to seek guidance
- Patience, tact and a good sense of humor
Teachable is an instructor-focused online course platform that lets course creators build and sell courses on any topic, from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Our thousands of instructors have earned more than $100M to date, and we've raised $12.5m+ from a group of top venture investors. We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent in NYC.
At Teachable, you will have the freedom to do your job and be an integral member of our tight-knit team, and you can do it all in our beautiful office in Flatiron with great benefits and perks. You’ll also get access to an ever-growing base of online educators, and your work will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. If you're on the fence about applying, please do! Additionally, Teachable is an equal opportunity employer. This means we are committed to a fair and consistent interview process, and to constantly working to ensure an inclusive work environment.
Finally, please tell us in your application if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. We'd do this anyway, but federal law requires us to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Read Full Job Description