Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Our Accounting and Finance team is hiring for a professional and experienced Technical Accounting and Reporting manager. This individual will assist the Company’s efforts to stay abreast of all its reporting requirements by creating and maintaining accounting manuals and professional accounting memos as well as focusing on reporting requirements for the company as required by GAAP. They will report to the Director, Financial Reporting & Technical Accounting. This role offers the unique opportunity to directly impact Better’s growth trajectory by assisting in standing up its Technical accounting function. An instrumental hire as the company continues to scale, this individual will be expected to take on responsibility at a rapid pace.
- Create and maintain all accounting manuals and professional accounting memorandums required by for Audit and quarterly review.
- Serve as an internal technical accounting resource and help implement new and emerging FASB and SEC accounting pronouncements as well as assess the accounting impact on the current disclosures.
- Take part in all complex audit discussions and requests from the auditor as well as lead the efforts to transform current consolidated financial statements to be SEC compliant
- Assure all working papers and working processes reflect required standard of reporting an operation.
- Liaise with key members of partnerships, operations and legal and compliance on accounting implications of non-standard revenue transactions and document accounting treatment of such transactions
- Assist with the development and presentation of internal training materials with respect to existing or new accounting standards
- Manage the technical accounting aspect of the accounting manual
- Research and documentation of technical accounting inquiries and related disclosure requirements for all non-recurring transactions and special situations coming up.
- Keep up-to-date on industry trends related to financial reporting and technical accounting including review of industry leader’s filings and disclosures for best practices.
- 5-7 years of progressive accounting experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting + an active CPA license
- Big 4 experience
- Experience working at an SEC registered company with SEC clients in public accounting or
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and SEC reporting
- Ability to perform independent accounting research and the subsequent framing and documentation of accounting issues along with the related conclusions
- Strong sense of responsibility, accuracy and accountability
- Must bring a hands-on style and the ability to prioritize and deliver results in a fast-moving company with a wide variety of strategic initiatives
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.