Payroll Analyst at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
- Execute day-to-day operations for payroll including processing, adjustments, and other relevant employee payroll data for over 5,000 employees.
- Expert knowledge of rules and regulations, adhering a semi-monthly, quarterly, and annual basis, ad hoc reporting internal/external partners, reconciliation/reporting of payroll and payroll accounting, Treasury reporting/reconciliation, Audit request/reconciliation.
- Manage and establish Partnerships with People Operations to continually improve employee record keeping and process management related to payroll.
- Build and maintain a working knowledge of wage legislation, industry standards, and best practices, incorporating standards into processes and procedures.
- Exhibit exceptional communication skills and be able to liaise with internal and external stakeholders to make payroll system enhancements or resolve payroll issues.
- Contribute to the implementation of new technology as part of scaling our business.
- Build and maintain employee confidence and trust by promptly responding to requests and protecting the confidentiality of payroll operations.
- Maintain ongoing relationships with the Accounting and Finance teams to ensure access to accurate payroll data for month-end close and other ad hoc financial reports.
- Knowledge and experience with Case Management systems.
- Respond to payroll emails and questions in a timely manner (align to SLAs)
- 3+ years of experience as a payroll administrator or processer at a medium to large-sized company.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, preferred.
- Experience with payroll systems and HRIS, preferably Workday.
- Preferably experience with Salesforce as a Case Management System.
- Knowledge and experience with US labor law, tax and compliance as well as all federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, including COBRA, FMLA, and DOL/FLSA requirements.
- Interested and informed on emerging technologies and are always looking for improvement, automation, and efficiency in processes.
- Able to thrive in an extremely fast paced environment.
- Detail oriented, deadline driven and work well under pressure with a high degree of accuracy.
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely in oral and written forms across teams.
Ability to comfortably interact with employees of all levels of experience and seniority, across the organization and uses diplomacy and discretion when dealing with sensitive employee payroll and benefit matters.
Job Req ID: JR101304
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.