Procurement and Accounts Payable Manager - New York, NY at Cockroach Labs
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
The Procurement and Accounts Payable Manager will be the founding member of the Procurement team at Cockroach Labs and play a large role in shaping the broader Accounting team. You will build and develop the very infrastructure that the Accounting team will grow on for years to come. The Procurement and Accounts Payable Manager will report directly to the Corporate Controller and will have the opportunity to establish scalable processes, ensure compliance with policies, and optimize our procurement system. You will have the opportunity to help design then ultimately own the entire procure-to-pay process. This role will work extensively with members of other departments and outside vendors. This role offers the unique opportunity to directly impact Cockroach Labs’ growth trajectory by standing up the function and will be an instrumental hire as the company continues to scale. The Procurement and Accounts Payable Manager will be on the ground floor of a newly formed function at a high-growth startup and will have significant opportunities for growth.You Will
- Manage the entire procure-to-pay and expense reimbursement processes
- Develop procurement policies and procedures with the Legal team and influence adoption and adherence to policies
- Assist in the continued development and scaling of the accounts payable and operations team by growing the team for both domestic and international expansion
- Identify opportunities for the design, documentation, and implementation of process improvements and increased controls to support the Company’s growing operations
- Review existing processes and evaluate future changes required to ensure the most efficient and effective operations of the department
- Establish KPI metrics to include cost savings and avoidance, policy compliance, purchase order cycle time, and supplier compliance.
- Negotiate competitive pricing and volume discounts for long-term contracts and service-level agreements
- Be a trusted business partner and work closely with various stakeholders within Finance, Legal, and across the company.
- Collaborate in designing and expanding the Company’s financial systems; and
- Provide other operational support to the Accounting team, as needed
In your first 30 days, you will develop a strong understanding of our current processes and organizational structure. You will meet with stakeholders across the organization to better understand how the Accounting team works with other functions. You will develop relationships with other operational leaders at Cockroach Labs and an understanding of their plans and needs, in particular as they relate to the Procurement and Accounts Payable function. You will review and provide feedback on the current Accounting team’s processes and the current plan for this year. You will start to identify areas for improvement in the Accounting team’s operations and processes and make recommendations on how to improve these processes.
In your first 60 days, you will have a good understanding of how Cockroach Labs operates and continue to identify opportunities to improve the operations of the Procurement and Accounts Payable team. You will start implementing new processes to address the more immediate needs of the Accounting team, including being a significant contributor to the design of the Company’s procure-to-pay processes.
After 3 months, you'll be fully integrated into the team and have created a roadmap of projects to make the Company best in class. You will start implementing, alongside the Accounting team, redesigned systems, workflows, and relationships with key stakeholders to fully build out an Internationally scalable Procurement and Accounts Payable function. You will have built key relationships so that you are the go-to subject matter expert in your field.
- 7+ years of combined procurement, accounting, or accounts payable experience coupled with experience managing direct reports
- Good proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and G-Suite experience
- The ability to design and maintain scalable processes
- Experience managing accounting professionals
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization
- Ability to meet hard deadlines and work under pressure
- Knowledge of internal controls, internal & external reporting, and audit processes
- Ability to demonstrate excellent judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential and highly sensitive financial or other information
- Experience using NetSuite, employee reimbursement software, and vendor payment software preferred
Reporting to Tom Hannon – Corporate Controller
Tom has always been passionate about technology and is dedicated to building finance and accounting teams that empower and amplify inventive businesses and products rather than constrain them. At Cockroach Labs, Tom is dedicated to building a function that achieves these goals. Tom has experience building finance and accounting teams in high-growth tech environments and has a strong understanding of both the profession and the industry. Tom believes strongly in the unique value that a Procurement and Accounts Payable team can bring and is committed to building a best-in-class function here at Cockroach Labs. Tom enjoys mentoring members of his team and is proud of the continued development and incredible roles many of them have moved on to at other tech companies. In his spare time, Tom is an avid sports fan, a keen runner, and looks forward to the day where we can actively travel again and seek new experiences.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance option (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning and Development budget
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]