Property Accountant at Common
Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management and technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 35 buildings, 6 cities, and over 1,000 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 4,000 new member applications per week.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis. Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
We are looking for a hard-working, motivated individual to join our growing accounting team! You will play a key role in delivering accurate, timely financial reporting to our internal and external business partners. This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a fast-paced, high energy company. This role reports to the Accounting Manager.
- Manage the accounting function for a portfolio of co-living and traditional residential properties
- Analyze the general ledger for each property, prepare journal entries, calculate accruals and maintain detailed work-paper files
- Prepare reconciliations of all cash accounts, reserves and escrows
- Maintain fixed asset and depreciation schedules
- Assist in the resolution of tenant billing inquiries with member services and legal departments
- Assist in the preparation of annual budget and forecast for properties
- Prepare and distribute external reporting, providing detailed explanations of variances
- Monitor cash balances and request capital funding, as needed
- Support the year-end financial statement audit, as well as any statutory audits that may arise
- Assist accounts payable by reviewing invoices, expense reports, and capital expenditures to ensure proper accounting treatment, coding, and business unit approval
- Other ad hoc projects from time to time
- BA in Accounting, with property management experience, strongly preferred
- 1+ years of relevant work experience
- Self-sufficient and comfortable taking charge in a start-up environment
- Detail-oriented & willing to spend time sorting through any problem that arises
- Extremely proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Has a comprehensive knowledge of GAAP
- Emotional Intelligence
- A team player with a “can-do” attitude
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, paid parental leave and a 401K. Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.