Teachable is an online platform that enables individuals and businesses (our “Creators”) to build, host and sell online classes (“Courses”). We generate revenue from subscription fees paid to us by our Creators and increasingly, this revenue is subject to US state and local sales taxes. In certain US states, Teachable is also considered a marketplace and is thus responsible for collecting and remitting sales tax on Courses sold through our platform. Having a strong understanding of tax law, and applicable solutions for collecting and remitting sales tax, enables Teachable to manage risk and provide a competitive advantage to our Creators. We’re looking for an experienced Sales Tax Manager who can assess the opportunities and challenges ahead of us and take the lead in crafting and implementing appropriate solutions.
Reporting directly to our CFO, you’ll be the first dedicated tax professional at Teachable and will have the opportunity to build our sales tax capabilities from the ground up. You’ll partner extensively with Accounting, Data, Legal & Compliance and Product and have the chance to influence decisions that directly impact the risk profile of our business. Your function is critical to our Payments related initiatives, the fastest growing part of our revenue stream. As the first person to truly “own” sales tax, you should have an entrepreneurial drive and be proactive in identifying problems and solutions, be able to interact with people across a variety of disciplines and enjoy the freedom and flexibility (and responsibility) of defining the future of this function.
This is a full-time in-person position based in our New York, NY office.
Here's what you'll do:
- Own all aspects of US state and local sales tax and EU VAT, including tax due on Teachable revenue and sales tax collected and remitted under Marketplace Facilitator requirements on Courses sold on the Teachable platform
- Coordinate and ensure timely and accurate compliance with all sales tax obligations while working to minimize liabilities. Includes working with outside advisors to identify areas of nexus (including in the US as well as in other countries where Teachable may do business)
- Assume responsibility for accurately reporting and remitting sales tax to the relevant taxing authorities on an ongoing basis
- In partnership with Legal & Compliance, research and analyze the impacts of sales and use tax law developments
- Partner with the Product team to research and identify tax software solutions that can be integrated into Teachable’s platform to facilitate sales tax compliance
- Manage relationships with state sales and use tax authorities and coordinate interactions with outside advisors relating to sales and use tax and information reporting
- Maintain concurrent, audit-ready workpapers and financial records for all filings
- Hire, manage, develop, and mentor team members
- Minimum 5 years of experience covering the above essential duties and responsibilities in public accounting or (preferably) in a combination of public accounting and corporate tax departments
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Accounting, Finance or a related field. CPA preferred
- Strong knowledge of tax law, including familiarity with Wayfair and Marketplace Facilitator requirements
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and advanced level experience with Microsoft Excel
- Experience as a strong, thoughtful manager with an interest in mentoring and leading team members to the next level in their careers
- Ability to communicate tax concepts in “plain English” so that your insights can be turned into action by other teams
- Excited to work independently and chart your own course, while knowing when to seek guidance
- Willing to roll up your sleeves, be “scrappy” and thrive in a startup environment
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
Teachable is an instructor-focused online course platform that lets course creators build and sell courses on any topic, from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Our hundreds of thousands of instructors have earned more than $500M to date, and we've raised $12.5m+ from a group of top venture investors. We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent in NYC.
At Teachable, you will have the freedom to do your job and be an integral member of our tight-knit team, and you can do it all in our beautiful office in NoMad with great benefits and perks. You’ll also get access to an ever-growing base of online educators, and your work will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Comprehensive health benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premiums
Discretionary vacation & time off with a company average of 24 days a year
Parental leave, 16 weeks, fully paid after 3 months of service
401(k) with match after 3 months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Dependent Care FSA
Your own standing desk or other personalized workspace
Gym + wellness matching stipend
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. If you're on the fence about applying, please do! Additionally, Teachable is an equal opportunity employer. This means we are committed to a fair and consistent interview process, and to constantly working to ensure an inclusive work environment.
Finally, please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. We'd do this anyway, but federal law requires us to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.