Help us Build the Future of Money
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department: Risk
Protection - for our clients and our company - forms the linchpin of our business at Gemini. Our Risk department plays a critical role in proactively identifying, mitigating, and managing the firm’s exposure, both internally and externally. Leveraging data, engineering, and intellectual horsepower, our Risk team is building a robust second line of defense in a first-of-its kind industry; our goal: safeguard Gemini so that we can continue to revolutionize the future of money.
The Role: Senior Associate, Market Conduct Risk
We are looking for a skillful, personable, and creative Risk professional to help design and implement risk management strategies to effectively manage Gemini’s growing digital asset trading business. The candidate should come from an operational risk-focused background, be experienced with risk management practices at the organizational level, and familiar with the three lines of defense. In this role, the candidate will partner closely with the Trading and Sales teams to build automated, smart, and proactive risk strategies and models from scratch. The ideal candidate is an expert communicator who can bring teams together to ensure smooth collaboration and unite stakeholders around risk-based methodologies.
- Develop a fundamental understanding of our digital asset trading business, including exposure, electronic execution strategies, and macro market fundamentals
- Perform gap assessments spanning across front office, middle office and back office processes to identify gaps in our trade lifecycle for new and existing financial instruments
- Design and test pre-trade and post-trade controls to prevent fraud, manipulative trading, insider trading, etc.
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders, including Technology, Finance and Security, to implement pre-trade and post-trade controls
- Mapping of pre-trade and post-trade controls to our Risk and Control Library, aligned with regulatory requirements and organizational policies.
- Monitor trade desk’s risk management performance, ensuring compliance with planned strategy, risk appetite, and applicable regulatory requirements
- Monitor key risk indicators against established limits/thresholds and escalating breaches/overages
Familiarity with VaR, cVaR, sVaR, mVaR, expected shortfall, and gross exposure
- Bachelor’s degree in Enterprise Risk Management, Finance, Economics or a related field
- 5+ years of Risk Management experience.
- Strong understanding of the trade lifecycle
- Knowledge of industry regulations and standards
- Excellent communication skills
- Teamwork oriented, and capable of thriving in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Previous experience in the financial services industry.
- Knowledge of Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) tools.
- Experience collaborating across the three lines of defense.
It Pays to Work Here
- We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Ownership in the company via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, 401k match contribution, and flexible hours
- Snacks, Perks, Wellness Outings & Events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.