Senior Tax Accountant, Indirect Tax at WeWork Technology
Title: Senior Accountant, Indirect Tax
Reports to: Manager, Domestic Indirect Tax
We are seeking to hire a Senior Accountant, Indirect Tax who will report to the Manager, Domestic Indirect Tax. The Senior Accountant, along with other team members, will collectively be responsible for all U.S. indirect tax compliance, including sales and use tax, personal property tax, business tax, and business licenses. The position will require the Senior Accountant to gather information and prepare workpapers for use by external tax advisors to prepare and file sales and use tax and personal property tax returns as well as business license registrations and renewals. In addition, the Senior Accountant will support the Manager to work with internal and external groups on the application of indirect taxes to WeWork various business lines, maintain the taxability matrix for purchases and sales, forecast indirect taxes, assist with state and local tax audits, and manage exemption certificates.
- Prepare workpapers and work with external tax advisors to prepare quarterly and monthly indirect tax filings, including but not limited to Sales & Use Tax, Gross Receipts Tax, Property Tax, Regulatory Fees and similar taxes.
- Assist Manager with various business and tax registrations for new business expansion and coordinate with external tax advisors to commence tax return compliance.
- Maintain indirect tax calendar to track Tax Account Numbers and credentials, internal tax department due dates and statutory due dates of WeWork state & local tax filings.
- Work with Accounting team to enter journal entries into ERP system on a monthly basis for tax return and business license payments.
- Work with business units to update tax configurations, improve tax systems, resolve tax disputes and communicate proper taxability of products
- Assist with state and local tax audits by gathering, organizing and tracking information requested by auditors.
- Research and settle state and local tax notices.
- Research tax technical matters on the indirect tax level and draft memorandum to support and document conclusions.
- Assist Manager to prepare annual forecast for indirect taxes and quarterly tax accruals.
- Prepare general ledger reconciliations related to sales and use tax accounts.
- Provide guidance based on research of transaction tax laws and regulations using RIA, CCH and other resources to support the business.
- Assist Manager with special projects and tax planning initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related field
- CPA or MST preferred but not required
- 3+ years of relevant experience in state and local indirect tax in corporate tax department or public accounting
- Strong knowledge of general indirect state tax laws and concepts
- Audit experience sales/use tax, personal property tax, and business licenses a plus
- Strong computer knowledge (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivator and able to work independently
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- Works effectively with outside service providers