Staff Accountant at Codecademy
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
As our third ever Accounting hire, you will be playing a key role in continuing to define, improve, and scale Codecademy’s transactional accounting and financial reporting processes. You will make an impact and ultimately help the company to achieve its finance goals by automating / streamlining processes, evolving processes, and improving internal controls.
We are seeking an eager, curious, and passionate accounting professional that demonstrates critical thinking skills and is always looking for ways to innovate through better, more efficient ways to complete your own and your team’s tasks.What you’ll do:
- Build and improve on multiple accounting processes. With your input and impact, we will shorten the month-end close by 25%, elevate our financial reporting, and improve internal controls
- Take ownership of critical day to day accounting operations and month-end close procedures. This role will be initially responsible for accounts payable, fixed assets, payroll, credit card payable, employee expense reimbursements, prepaid accounting, and billing / collections, with room to grow into more complex technical accounting in our revenue, equity, and financial reporting processes
- Evaluate accounting processes and procedures for which you’re responsible by identifying gaps and improving systems, processes, internal controls and efficiencies
- Act as a business partner to other departments by improving budget transparency, facilitation of vendor payments, reporting requests, etc.
- Support the 2020 financial statement audit by synthesizing auditor feedback and improvements into existing systems and processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- 3+ years of progressive accounting experience, preferably in the technology industry, with a blend of public and private and strong US GAAP
- Excel whiz
- Demonstrable experience with implementing technology and systems to automate accounting processes. Experience with Quickbooks Online, Bill.com, Justworks, Expensify, or Divvy a plus
- You can stay organized to meet deadlines and expectations and strike a practical balance between urgency and quality
- You're a self-starter who loves wearing different hats and have an enthusiastic spirit that no job is too small or too big
- You like to create things from scratch and can operate within ambiguity, whether individually or in collaboration with others
We want people who are passionate about taking on new challenges and going the extra mile. If this opportunity sounds exciting, tell us why you’d like to be our first Staff Accountant in your cover letter!
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.