Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more www.betterment.com.About the Role:
As a Strategy Manager, you will work alongside the leadership of Betterment to shape the direction of the company as our growth accelerates. In this role, you will have a 360-degree view of how the company operates, from both a high-level strategic viewpoint and a tactical operational lens. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Strategic Operations, you will collaborate on central planning activities to support organizational needs and take on additional strategic projects across the team. This role creates the opportunity to have an impact across the company by creating the bridge that ties our work to our vision, ensuring that we accomplish our highest priority goals.
We are hiring in all states except CO.A Day in the Life:
- Become a core figure in strategic planning, driving annual and quarterly planning, monthly reporting and quarterly Board Reporting alongside finance
- Translate insights into company communication materials to engage the leadership of the company and the organization as a whole
- Understand complex concepts and own projects from inception to actualization – you may work on business cases, research new products, or operationalize a key initiative
- Remain apprised of of industry trends and innovations, best practices, and competitive insights, becoming the go-to expert for understanding the strategic landscape surrounding Betterment
- Help build a strategic consensus within the executive team on which opportunities to prioritize and pursue, and help create supporting management level materials.
- Frequently communicate with business and product leadership and translate high level conversations into action
- Provide opinions and insights to leadership as they relate to our strategic priorities and projects
Management consulting or leadership development experience is essential to the success of this role.
- Excellent problem solving skills, bringing qualitative and quantitative structure to opportunities
- Insatiable curiosity about the fintech space, the financial services competitive landscape, and ideas about how we can keep innovating.
- Experience structuring, owning and leading large-scale initiatives in a fast-growing, amorphous environment
- Strong story-telling skills and the written / verbal / Google slides chops to back it up
- History of working directly with C-suite and VP-level executives
- Solid analytical prowess, including a history of financial analysis or modeling
- Extraordinary relationship building skills and a demonstrated ability to influence and direct others, often without direct reporting authority
- Humility, a team-oriented mindset, and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and dig into the tactical alongside the strategic
- A comfort with ambiguity and fast-paced environments
- High EQ with the ability to navigate multiple high-level stakeholders
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 4-6 weeks to complete the interview process. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.