Tax Manager at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Our Accounting and Finance team is seeking a strategic-minded professional and experienced tax expert to join our growing team. Reporting to the VP, Corporate Controller, this role offers the unique opportunity to directly impact Better’s growth trajectory by standing up its tax function. You will lead the company’s efforts around federal, state and local tax returns, tax withholdings, tax credits, and assist in tax planning and strategy by creating and overseeing processes in alignment with best practices. You will be responsible for maintaining relationships with tax advisors and an instrumental contributor. As the company continues to scale rapidly, you will be expected to take on responsibility at a rapid pace.
Responsibilities will include:
- Oversee federal, state and local income taxes returns, audits and withholding and ensure tax compliance in all jurisdictions
- Calculate financial statement reporting of income taxes under US GAAP
- Analyze international tax planning, oversee transfer pricing policies, and assist with the impacts of international tax on the US tax provision
- Build a deep understanding of the business, including regular interactions with key partners (Legal, HR, etc.), in order to assist with researching potential tax risks
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax law developments and create strategies to capitalize on changes to taxation legislation
- Build and maintain effective control procedures over tax processes in alignment with best practices
- Build relationships and interact with Tax advisors and preparers to provide excellent planning, consulting and expertise
- Maintain relationships with State and Local authorities relating to grants, credits and other government assistance programs
- Liaise with Better colleagues in Talent, Compliance and other departments as needed
- 6+ years of corporate tax experience, with at least two years within the tax department of a public accounting firm (Big 4 a plus)
- Strong understanding of ASC 740 and relevant financial reporting requirements
- Experience submitting tax returns on a Federal, State and Local level (International, a plus)
- Ability to work in a team environment and willingness to "roll up your sleeves"
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and Google Docs
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and organize efficiently with minimal daily management
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.