VP of FP&A
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. We are building the operating system for real estate, an end-to-end platform built to support the home buying, selling or renting process, based on an agent’s workflow. By elevating the most personal parts of the process and using technology to simplify the rest, Compass delivers an incomparable experience to each client in service of our mission. Our proprietary suite of tools helps agents grow their business faster, makes their lives simpler, and creates better outcomes for their clients. At Compass, we have more than 5,000 of the country’s top real estate agents who work with clients to help them buy, sell and rent homes.
Compass is a Series E venture backed company that recently raised $450M from SoftBank Vision Fund. Other investors include Fidelity, Wellington Management, Institutional Venture Partners, Thrive Capital, Founders Fund and Goldman Sachs.
As Compass experiences massive growth, we are looking for the best and brightest to drive strategic business decisions. The Vice President of FP&A will lead quarterly forecasting, the annual budgeting process, cross-functional analysis and special projects. The VP will provide financial consulting and strategic support to senior management including preparing financial presentations, developing key reporting packages, capital expenditure analysis, identifying and tracking key KPIs, developing and tracking our staffing model and other projects requested by senior management. This role will report directly to the CFO.
- Oversee and manage Compass’s monthly forecasting, annual planning process, financial and operations analysis and quarterly earnings and forecasting process.
- Establish FP&A as a center of analytical excellence to be shared with functional leaders across the organization.
- Develop and monitor performance indicators, highlighting trends and analyzing causes of unexpected variance, including all areas of revenue, cost of sales, expenses, operating metrics and capital expenditures.
- Manage revenue, expense, and headcount forecasting, planning and analysis.
- Develop and prepare annual budget. Assist in setting annual budget targets, lead the company through the process and prepare the annual financial budget for presentation to executive management.
- Develop long term forecast for company on an annual basis.
- Cultivate deep partnership with Accounting.
- Assist the team in monthly and quarterly reporting including executive summary preparation and external reporting documentation for results.
- Improve operating teams’ understanding of financial statements and budget adherence with thoughtful and transparent analysis.
- Collaborate with operating teams and provide fact-based recommendations that improve profitability, operating efficiency and effectiveness.
Job Skills & Requirements:
- Minimum 15 years of experience, which can be comprised of a mix of relevant experience. FP&A leadership experience required.
- Experience leading FP&A function of a public company strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA preferred.
- Systems implementation experience and process mapping skills strongly preferred.
- Must possess excellent analytical, financial modeling and presentation skills with the ability to analyze raw data, draw conclusions, and develop actionable recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to build, mentor and develop a team.
- Experience with capital structure management preferred, both equity and debt.
- Must be a team player who understands the importance of the role as a key support function to the operating team. Positive, cooperative attitude. Ability to work with multiple teams simultaneously, both internal and external.
- Humble with ability and desire to roll up sleeves and be hands on in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with senior management, communicate effectively in meetings and describe deliverables and project milestones.
- Experience producing insightful, actionable analysis for senior management, board members, investors and other stakeholders.
- Proactive individual seeking additional responsibility at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and improve processes and procedures.
- Ability to work under pressure of tight deadlines.