Head of Tax (Greater NYC Area, NY)
Rokt is the global leader in ecommerce technology, helping companies seize the full potential of every transaction moment to grow revenue and acquire new customers at scale. Fanatics, Live Nation, AMC Theatres, PayPal, Uber, Hulu, Staples, Lands’ End, and HelloFresh are among the more than 2,500 leading global businesses and advertisers that use Rokt's solutions to drive more value through every transaction by offering highly relevant messages to their customers at the moment they are most likely to convert.
With our December 2022 secondary transaction, Rokt’s valuation increased to $2.4 Billion. We are expanding rapidly and globally – operating in 14 countries across North America, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region with the largest office in NYC and a major R&D hub in Sydney. With 50% annual growth and a vibrant company culture, Rokt has been listed in ‘Great Places to Work’ in the US and Australia. Our award-winning culture is guided by our eight core values: smart with humility, own the outcomes, force for good, conquer new frontiers, enjoy the ride, raise the bar, communicate with impact, and disagree then commit. These values help us attract, engage, and develop the right talent around the globe and ensure we foster an environment that helps us all do our best work. Keen to join a fast-growing company and a vibrant culture? Learn more at rokt.com.
About the role
You will be accountable for managing all aspects of tax compliance and tax accounting aspects for the company. The Tax Director should enjoy and thrive in working across a broad spectrum of tax disciplines, including tax provision, international tax, US tax, state and local, compensation, indirect taxes, employer/employee tax, and transfer pricing. This is an opportunity for a tax professional who is looking to build our internal tax compliance function from the ground up. This role will report to the Chief Accounting Officer.
- Lead the company’s tax department, building and managing a team of individuals and fostering a positive work environment that aligns with company values
- Own the monthly/quarterly/annual tax provision and related tax journal entries and financial disclosures in accordance with the preparation of our IFRS (and US GAAP) financial statements
- Oversee, coordinate with, and manage the Company's 3rd party tax providers ensuring that all tax-related issues are identified, communicated, and resolved in a timely manner
- Lead the development of operational tax strategies and processes (e.g. R&D tax credit)
- Responsible for all domestic and international tax filings and compliance
- Own the preparation of all global tax accounting and reporting, including the calculation of our effective tax rate, net operating losses, current and deferred tax provisions, taxes payable, and related disclosures in our annual audited financial statements
- Coordinate the tax review and audit process with external auditors and provide necessary tax disclosures
- Respond to tax audits and tax authority inquiries, both domestic and international
- Lead all processes related to transactional and all indirect taxes, and other business taxes to ensure reporting compliance
- Ensure we are compliant with all SALT, including the preparation of NEXUS studies
- Partner with FP&A to prepare our tax forecast
- Maintain awareness of and advise on pending tax changes and applicable regulations
- Support new business initiatives by analyzing tax implications including transfer pricing
- Determine the tax requirements for entry into new countries and assist with the tax applicability set-up in our systems
- Conduct regular internal transfer pricing policy reviews, manage, prepare, and update the documentation to support intra-group transactions with local regulations
- 10+ years of tax experience with a mix of Big 4 and in-house experience for an SEC registrant preferred
- Strong tax compliance background and advanced tax technical and research skills – focus on international/multinational footprint a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; Master’s in taxation is preferred
- CPA required
- Proven ability to work effectively with external partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding analytical, organizational and project management skills
- Highly motivated
- Safety is our highest priority. We actively invest in the growth of our people and the strengthening of our communities. Our NYC office is 100% vaccinated to keep our employees and community safe and healthy. We require all Rokt’stars and anyone else who will be onsite at the Rokt NYC office–clients, contractors, vendors, and suppliers–to show proof of vaccination and their booster shot.
- Work with the greatest talent in town. Our recruitment process is tough but diligent. We’re constantly aiming to implement our value of “raise the bar” and set high standards for our Rokt’stars. This is essential in our high-performing, high-grow culture where we strive to bring in the brightest and best talent. Our teams thrive by challenging the status quo and we encourage all of our teams to unleash their desire to achieve something bigger.
- Join a community. At Rokt we’re a community of curious explorers. We’re not afraid of venturing into uncharted territories. We work together as one single, aligned team. We value diversity and transparency which is why we support a number of internal employee resource groups including an EDI steering committee, Rainbow Rokts that empowers our LGBTQIA+ Rokt’stars, Womxn who Rokt that promotes gender equality in tech, and more.
- Accelerate your career. We want you to unleash your full potential. This is why we have an annual ‘Level Up’ allowance of $5,000 that gives Rokt’stars the ability to take courses, attend events, go to training, and more to help our great employees become even better leaders.
- Take a break. When you work hard, we know you also need to rest. We offer generous time off and parental leave policies, as well as mental health and wellness days for all employees. We even incentivize individuals to utilize their PTO with “High 5” days, an additional 5 days of PTO when you’ve used 75% of your allotted annual paid leave. We also offer a paid Rokt’star Sabbatical for employees who have been with us for 5 years or more.
- Stay happy and healthy. In order to unleash our potential, we want to ensure you’re able to keep your wellbeing a priority. This means you can enjoy a well-balanced, catered lunch 5x a week in the office along with healthy snacks. We also want you to feel at home when coming into work which is why we’re a dog-friendly office so you can bring your furry friend to work with you. As part of your wellbeing benefits, we offer a wellness stipend so you can enjoy the gym on us! In the US, access generous retirement plans like a 4% dollar-for-dollar 401K matching plan and get fully funded premium health insurance for your entire family!
- Become a shareholder. All Rokt’stars have stock options. If we succeed, everyone is rewarded.
- See the world! We want our Rokt’stars to enjoy the ride. As we aim to bring meaning and fun to our everyday work, we host global all-staff events in amazing locations (Phuket, Thailand in January 2020, Hawaii in May 2022, and Whistler in 2023). As we strive to build a community of curious explorers, we also offer generous relocation packages for those interested in moving to another Rokt office. We have bustling offices in great cities including: New York, Sydney, London, Singapore, and Tokyo.
- We believe we’re better together. We love spending time together and are in the office most days (all teams are in the office 4 days per week). We also get that you need to balance your life and your commitments so you have flexibility to manage your own hours and can spend up to a week of every quarter working from anywhere.
- We believe in equality. Rokt is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we know our collective strength comes from how different we all are. We encourage you to apply for one of our open roles—irrespective of socio-economic status or background, age, gender identity, race, religion, sexual orientation, color, pregnancy, carer/family responsibilities, national and social origin, political opinion, marital, veteran, or disability status.
Salary Range- $225,000 - $250,000/ year + equity + (great) benefits!