Benefits Specialist at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity
The Total Rewards team at Better is responsible for all tools, processes, and operations related to the company’s compensation, benefits, and wellness offerings to our employees. Our role is to design, implement, administer and assess programs and processes that help attract, motivate, and retain the highest caliber employees to support Better’s business goals and overarching mission. Our Benefits and Compensation teams encourage collaboration, teamwork, communication, creativity, and a heightened, real-time sense of what our employees both need and value in all our Total Rewards programs.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, driven and resourceful Benefits Specialist to manage employee benefit inquiries, execute our benefits programs, manage all compliance related needs, monitor benefit eligibility, and support other projects related to the development of the People Operations function. This individual will report directly to our Senior Benefits Manager and can expect to work as a thought partner to other team members across the organization. This individual should be excited by the opportunity to be very hands-on with everything from day-to-day administrative work to longer-term, large-scale benefits projects.
Responsibilities will include:
- Serving as a point of contact for all employees with questions about benefits, including running onboarding sessions, ongoing employee education, and resolving escalated benefits issues.
- Developing and administering employee benefit programs including health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, flexible spending accounts (FSAs), health savings account (HSA), leave of absence, commuter benefits, 401k and wellness offerings.
- Staying abreast with the US Healthcare compliance laws, regulations, and enforcement in order to understand how they impact Better
- Managing all compliance related matters, including but not limited to completion of Form 5500s, applicable healthcare ordinances (i.e. City of San Francisco and Massachusetts), HIPAA, ERISA, and non-discrimination testing in accordance with federal, state and city regulations.
- Coordinating or facilitating compliance related tasks in partnership with external vendors where applicable.
- Providing necessary monthly/quarterly reports for allocation/billing charges for benefits programs
- Reviewing weekly/monthly benefit eligibility reporting to ensure accuracy within our internal HRIS system and with external vendor partners.
- Liaising with external benefits vendors and handling other ad hoc projects as needed.
- 4+ years of experience with employee benefits, prior knowledge of self-insured health plans preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or another related field
- Proficiency with Google Workspace and MS Office applications with Excel mastery.
- Remarkable organizational skills and relentless drive to improve efficiency
- High personal integrity with a demonstrated ability to exercise confidentiality
- Comfortable with navigating uncertainty
- Takes initiative with little to no direction and consults with manager as needed
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as critical attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and manage priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Critical attention to detail and note-taking skills
- Familiarity with US healthcare system and corporate employee benefits programs including administering health plans nationwide (i.e. California, Massachusetts, New York, Hawaii, or Texas )
- Experience working in a start-up and/or fast-paced environment
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.