Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 60 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities. We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world's developers. The products and services are focused on technical recruiting, developer marketing, and enterprise knowledge sharing. Our clientele includes Google, Microsoft, Bloomberg, and many other Fortune 500 names. We’re a profitable and fast growing organization looking for talented, self-directed individuals who combine technical know-how with excellent writing abilities.
Stack Overflow is looking for a Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB), to lead our strategy and ongoing programs, policies, metrics, and forums. As our DEI leader you will have an opportunity to make a difference by ensuring that all voices are heard throughout our company. Building an inclusive and diverse workforce is critical to enabling Stack Overflow to continue driving our mission– and will help us create an organization and community that is unique and enables us to attract the best diverse talent that will work, share, and grow while delivering outstanding business results.
As a change agent and trusted partner, this role will collaborate with Stack leaders and managers, employee resource group (ERG) leaders, People Team members, and Community Managers to bring meaningful change. The individual in this role will also be a critical partner to our Talent Development and Talent Acquisition teams in ensuring that diversity and inclusion is embedded into our strategic plans, hiring practices, learning initiatives and our decision-making processes.
What you'll do:
- You’ll drive our DEIB strategy and partner with our Senior Leadership Team and business group leaders to develop specific strategies, goals, and metrics to increase the diversity of our workforce and create a culture of inclusion and belonging.
- Review business group-specific and company workforce demographic data to make recommendations on targets and goals. On a regular basis, review workforce demographic data with leaders to ensure accountability as well as monitor DEIB’s program success and opportunities.
- Partner with our People Team stakeholder groups (including talent acquisition, learning and development, communications, and business partners) to develop programs that attract and retain and support actions and for a fair and equitable professional work environment for all Stackers.
- Support and lead the Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and the cross-functional Diversity initiatives to align teams across the organization, develop best practices and activate Diversity strategies throughout the organization and within the Stack Community.
- The Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging will be our internal subject matter expert -- contributing perspective, insights, and knowledge, and taking a balanced consultative and systematic approach to enable the organization to achieve measurable results.
- Provide leadership coaching, when appropriate, to leaders via one-to-one and group interactions. Assess and recommend training and development experiences and strategies with our Director of Organizational Learning and Development.
- Influence and partner with cross-functional working teams, including both People and business team members, to launch on-time, effective programs that deliver results.
- This Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging will serve as the sponsor and champion for D&I across a variety of functions including marketing, communications, community, research, and development to drive a robust strategic vision and roadmap. To achieve this goal, this person will cultivate relationships internally and externally.
What you should have
- At least 7-10 years experience, working on DEIB programs and initiatives.
- Ability to form strong relationships with multiple stakeholders including senior leaders, key business leads, as well as our Stack Overflow Community Managers.
- Experience working in a high growth technology company is preferred and experience working with a highly distributed (remote) workforce is a must.
- Experience working with a two-sided marketplace community focused B2B or B2C company is a bonus but not required.
- Extensive change management experience which includes preparing a solid business case for change, planning, analyzing data and reporting, monitoring risks, resistance, budget constraints and celebrating success.
- Exceptional project management/organizational skills; ability to manage multiple priorities; can translate business strategies into impactful people and business outcomes.
- The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the company to improved performance, tenacious and accountable in driving results.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt quickly and lead others through complex situations.
- A collaborative style to work with others openly and transparently to create an environment where diverse viewpoints are valued, and information is shared with others for the purposes of achieving a shared goal.
- Holistic and strategic thinker – can manage short and long-term plans and adapt as needed.
- Team player – willing to pitch in and be a People Partner when needed.
- Coaching orientation and facilitation skills to support an inclusive culture.
- Previous experience in scaling organizations with a People First mindset.
- Perseveres in the face of challenges and shows a steadfast resolve and commitment to higher standards, commands respect from others.
- Influencing through relationships, internal and external, is important. Ability to persuade hearts and minds, engage in difficult and deeply personal dialogue with empathy, and handle conflict with grace and humility.
What you will get in return:
In the United States, benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks (about 3 and a half months) at 100% pay),
- Family care leave
- Unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- 20 days (about 4 weeks) paid vacation a year.
- 401K program with Company Match
- Volunteer days
We are a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening September 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), you will be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams). While we are very flexible on working hours, living, and working within GMT-7:00 to GMT+2:00 time zones (US through Europe) is needed for scheduling and interaction with your team. We also believe in a strong work-life balance and are focused on making sure you have a positive work experience, in-office or remotely.
Employment is conditional upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the legal right to work in the US.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Overflow does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can, and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.#LIRemote #BI-Remote