Director, People Operations at Better.com
We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire home buying journey.
A Better opportunity:
Through the combined efforts of recruiting, human resources, and office management, the People team works to create and foster a positive and productive employee experience. We take ownership of everything from the smallest details - like keeping the right snacks in stock - to the largest projects - such as structuring performance management to make sure that every member of the team feels supported, positively challenged, and able to thrive at Better. We have fun, love what we do, and care deeply about building a Better workplace.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, driven and resourceful Director of People Operations to join our team. In this role you’ll oversee our People Operations Managers and help develop our people strategy. Our People team provides on-the-ground support to our employees and partners with leadership on everything from building our people infrastructure to employee engagement efforts. We’re in hyper-growth mode, which means we need someone with the drive and passion to execute day-in and day-out and who is comfortable moving from high level strategy to “in the weeds” work seamlessly. Success in this role requires a high degree of organization, strong communication skills, creative thinking and the ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced environment.
- Oversee our employee experience/people operations team.
- Develop and implement people strategies and solutions in areas including performance management, employee engagement, leadership development and more. Your focus will be on scalability and efficiency, and building an outstanding employee experience.
- Build and strengthen the delivery and execution of our people ops programs, operations and services that enhance our employee experience.
- Work closely with leadership, managers and individual contributors on people initiatives (coaching, advocating for teams/individuals, supporting career development conversations)
- Handle general employee relations escalations (conflict resolution, disciplinary action and mediation)
- Create the communication and rollout of updated or new people programs and policies.
- Ensure adherence to all HR policies and any employment-related legal, regulatory and compliance requirements
- Exhibit tact, discretion, and integrity in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Comfortable with navigating uncertainty
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with a variety of people
- High personal integrity and ability to exhibit a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to multitask and manage priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to anticipate potential problems before they arise
- A record of academic achievement (BA/BS required) and keen intellectual ability
- 6+ years of HR/People Operations experience
- The desire to crush it
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.