Director, Performance and Learning and Development at Better.com
We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire home buying journey.
A Better opportunity:
We are looking for an enthusiastic, strategic and driven Director to oversee Performance and Learning and Development. This is a multifaceted leadership role with substantial runway and opportunity to build and scale three core functions within our talent organization: Compensation, Performance Management and Learning and Development.
This position is a builder role. We’re in hyper-growth mode, which means we need someone with the drive and passion to execute day in-and-day-out. Someone who is comfortable operating at both a macro and micro-level, who has the subject matter expertise to drive high level strategy and the operational and leadership acumen to build and manage high-performing teams. This role requires a high degree of business acumen, creative thinking and execution as well as strong organizational skills.
- Assume ownership of company-wide compensation, performance management and learning and development initiatives
- Build and scale Better’s Learning and Development function; evolve team structure and segmentation, including on-boarding, continuous enablement and leadership development programs
- In collaboration with key functional leaders and HRBPs, define business needs, current and future scope of client groups, target employee profiles, skill-sets and experience levels
- Design and facilitate cohesive, cross-functional leveling and performance management principles
- Partner with finance to design and iterate compensation policies, including ranges, structure, short and long-term incentive plans, equity philosophy
- Partner with payroll, HRIS and talent operations teams to streamline processes and ensure operational efficiency
- Work closely with Employee Relations and Legal to ensure both new and existing compensation policies are in compliance with applicable legislative and regulatory requirements
- You are an exceptional leader with at least 10+ years of HR/Performance Management and Learning and Development experience
- You have 5+ years of leadership experience, preferably second-line leadership
- You have built and scaled organizational leveling and performance management strategies within multi-faceted businesses
- You are a learning and development expert with hands-on experience building, facilitating and managing content
- You have a bias for action, as well as a strong sense of practicality and effectiveness
- You have excellent communication and relationship-building skills
- You are highly adaptable, and able to thrive in ambiguous or uncertain environments
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can't wait to leave the conversation and build it.
Better is an equal opportunity employer, and seeks to build a workplace where people from many backgrounds can thrive. We believe that multiple perspectives lead to better decision-making, make us better employers, and create better outcomes for our customers. We strongly encourage people from diverse backgrounds (racial, religious, sexual orientation, gender-identity, formerly incarcerated, disability status, veteran status) to apply.