Director, Trust and Safety
Director, Trust & Safety
Getting together with real people in real life makes powerful things happen. Side hustles become careers, ideas become movements, and chance encounters become lifelong connections. Meetup brings people together to create thriving communities. Show up. Change lives.
Meetup’s Customer Experience team is a diverse, creative group that knows every nook and cranny of Meetup, and they use that knowledge to support Meetup organizers and members around the world. To keep the Meetup ecosystem humming, the team trades thousands of emails with customers each month: they answer questions, offer advice, hunt down bugs, and reinforce Meetup’s Community Guidelines. They welcome new Meetup groups to the platform, assess member reports, and act as the voice of the Meetup customer within the company. We are a large, passionate, and ambitious group.
The Trust & Safety team is part of the Customer Experience group, tasked with ensuring that the platform is safe and enjoyable for millions of organizers and members by monitoring and detecting risks and mediating disputes through a combination of automated systems and human review. We are looking for an experienced senior trust and safety leader to own the strategy and day-to-day operations, serve as a key driver of vision, purpose, and continuous improvement within Trust & Safety team. The Director of Trust & Safety will partner with internal stakeholders to evolve and enforce policies that improve the quality of the Meetup community and customer experience. This is a significant leadership role responsible for driving results and leading the Trust & Safety team, increasing team efficiency and continuously improve the customer experience. This role will be located in our NY HQ building.
What you’ll get to do in this role:
- Provide critical leadership in team handling of time-sensitive and escalated trust and safety issues across the Meetup platform: legal, privacy, and policy escalations. Lead Meetup’s response to claims of abuse, fraud disputes, and elevated risk case management.
- Partner with policy counsel to help evolve guidelines that are clear, intuitive, and aligned with the company’s goals to address platform risks, moderate user-generated content, and maintain superior regulatory compliance.
- Design and implement policies, procedures, and tools to help identify bad actors on the platform and minimize any associated disruptions to other users.
- Create and conduct legal escalation training for the team, including workflows for general legal questions, reports of criminal activity, intellectual property infringement escalations, civil and government information requests, etc.
- Take ownership of delivering high-quality, fast support by ensuring consistent SLA delivery through effective scheduling and staffing practices, quality assurance monitoring, and performance management.
- Work collaboratively with other Meetup teams including customer support, legal, product managers, design, UX, engineering, etc. to identify critical trust and safety issues and develop effective, sustaining solutions.
- Monitor team performance, identify team and individual accomplishments and improvement opportunities, mentor direct reports and foster professional development of the team.
- Own the management of large-scale trust and safety initiatives and ensure project and resource alignment with departmental and company goals.
- Proactive research of industry trends and standards to help anticipate policy issues and ensure that Meetup is ahead of the curve and our brand and members are protected.
- Hire, retain, and develop top talent and create and foster a healthy team culture.
- Inspire and motivate the team to drive results and help one another succeed.
- Act as a subject matter expert to the company in advising and advocating on matters related to keeping our customers safe and in line with industry standards.
What makes you perfect for this role:
- Relevant BA/BS degree or greater (master’s degree a plus).
- 5+ years of people management experience.
- You’re considered an expert in the realm of trust and safety operations, have a passion for privacy and risk management, and have demonstrated experience helping teams adopt best practices, mitigate spam, handle NSFW content.
- Familiarity with US and EU regulations, GDPR, and a general understanding of other international policy and compliance issues as it pertains to the Meetup business model.
- You’re a critical thinker, capable of breaking down and solving complex problems.
- You have extraordinary communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to influence multiple stakeholders at various levels and across disciplines.
- You’re adaptable and resilient in nature, with the ability to quickly pivot - and bring your team along for the ride - as our strategies and business plans evolve.
- Ability to navigate large data sets to identify issues, trends, and make improvements
- Experience with SQL, Looker, and third-party spam enforcement tools.
Our team is bold, supportive, and passionate about bringing people together IRL to create community for everyone. We care about moving fast, real-world change, and building diverse, dynamic teams. You in?