Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $4.3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $42 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better.com is looking for an experienced Global Payroll Director to support our rapidly growing company of over 5,500 domestic and international employees. At the intersection of the Finance and People teams, you will be responsible for leading operational activities and providing strategic direction for the global payroll functions. The ideal candidate thrives in fast-paced environments with moving targets. They are an extremely strong collaborator with a strong bias to employee experience.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manage and direct the end-to-end processes for the company’s pay-related activities, including managing outsourced providers
- Develop and implement best practices, key performance indicators and SLA metrics for the team
- Assure timely and accurate payroll processing on a bimonthly and ad hoc basis.
- Create scalable infrastructure for reporting and analysis requirements, and oversee payroll audit.
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders to ensure employee experience is maintained as the north star of the payroll team.
- Continually improve employee record keeping and process management related to payroll, including proper allocation of employees to subsidiary departments and title.
- Build and maintain employee confidence and trust by setting up process for promptly responding to requests, developing clear communications, and protecting the confidentiality of payroll operations
- Personally handle Executive team members payroll requirements.
- Review taxation requirements and liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer's social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments.
- Oversee payroll taxation best practices, as well as comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- 8+ years progressive experience as a Payroll and Benefits manager at a medium to large enterprise, with at least 5 years of management experience.
- Workday Payroll knowledge and experience preferred but not required; must have deep knowledge and experience working with payroll vendors and platform technologies
- Extremely strong communicator and project manager with a passion for employee experience and satisfaction.
- Strong knowledge and experience with US labor law, tax and compliance as well as all federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, including COBRA, FMLA, and DOL/FLSA requirements.
- Detail oriented, deadline driven and work well under pressure with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to comfortably interact with employees of all levels of experience and seniority, across the organization.
- Highly discreet when dealing with sensitive employee payroll and benefit matters.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.