Haven Life is an insurtech innovator, backed and wholly owned by MassMutual that creatively uses technology to advance the life insurance industry and better serve the modern customer.
We combine the culture of a startup with the stability and backing of a Fortune 500 company to create an environment that's truly unique.
Our diverse team is comprised of smart, collaborative people who think big, execute quickly and don't take themselves too seriously. We're located in New York's Flatiron District and in case you're wondering, yes, we provide free snacks. Cold brew too.
If you're creative, professional and kind, we'd love to hear from you.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As we prepare for our next phase of growth, we are seeking a Head of Human Resources who can build and lead an HR organization at this critical time.This role will oversee and build a high-performing team with compassion and commitment. They will be a core member of Haven's senior executive team and will report directly to the CEO, while collaborating closely with other leaders. The role will be based in New York City.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Set direction and plan for all People-related strategy at Haven, while working closely with CEO, CTO and Chief Culture and Innovation Officer.
- Direct the company's People operations, which comprises human resources and talent acquisition, including Employee Relations, HR compliance (including immigration),and Total Rewards,
- Build relationships at our parent company, MassMutual, to provide transparency, get input, and build understanding of our HR goals and processes.
- Manage and grow an HR team in alignment with our mission and vision, using innovative, best practices and policies that will build and retain a world class team and technical talent, while creating a high-performing culture of success, accountability, transparency and collaboration.
- Identify, track and report key metrics and performance indicators on people related areas to ensure progress and growth against goals.
- Manage talent acquisition and comprehensive strategic recruiting plans, including branding, sourcing channels, screening, interviewing, assessments, diversity, data collections, job offers and metrics.
- Lead and advocate for diversity and inclusion practices, including designing company policies that reinforce diversity in the workplace, address all kinds of harassment and protect minority groups. Put in place practices to help hiring managers and HR staff on how to select, manage, evaluate and retain diverse employees.
- Manage HR analytics & reporting, talent reviews, training and development.
- Build processes to enhance talent attraction, retention, development, and succession.
- Manage employee relations and performance issues and advise on best practices of performance management.
- Manage all areas related to overall employee compensation and benefits including equity option plans, health benefits, HR procedures and HR compliance in multi-jurisdictions.
WHO YOU ARE
Successful candidates will demonstrate many of the characteristics that our core values represent:
- Build things that matter: You have a love of building something new and care about making a positive difference.
- We’re all entrepreneurs: You love learning new things and are comfortable working in a startup-like, dynamic environment -- moving quickly, even in the face of ambiguity. You are a self-directed leader who can jump in, structure their own work, and figure out how best to execute a plan yourself and with others. At Haven our leaders are all players and coaches.
- Yes before no: You keep an open mind and are excited about new ideas and helping others actualize their ideas.You are intellectually curious and analytical in a strategic context.
- We matter to each other: You care about people and courageously stand up for what is right, for your team, for others at the company, and for customers. You are a highly ethical individual with unquestioned integrity and the experience, confidence, and stature to effectively address sensitive HR and business issues with complete discretion and confidentiality.
- HR Leadership Experience: VP of Human Resources (or similar role) at a company with at least 100 employees. Overall 15+ years of HR experience in a leadership position. Demonstrated ability to establish and run core HR processes and functions while developing a world-class employee experience throughout the entire employee lifecycle.
- Domain and Functional Expertise: Demonstrated experience and knowledge in key functional areas of HR across Total Rewards, Policies and Procedures, Employee Relations, HRIS & Payroll, and more. A deep knowledge of legal HR compliance matters. Knowledge of New York and U.S. employment laws and regulations required.
- Technology Culture Exposure: Experience with a technology company and culture at various stages of development. Insight into how managing technology talent impacts HR approaches across culture, compensation, talent management and more.
- Team Building: Strong management skills and demonstrated ability to hire, mentor, and develop a high-performing HR team.
- Strategic Thinking and Communication: Understanding of planning and executing short and longer term HR strategies with a metrics and goal-driven approach. Ability to manage communications with board of directors as well as key stakeholders at the highest level both written and in presentations and meetings.
- Entrepreneurial Bent: You have built something from the ground up and know what it’s like to work in a fast-paced and agile environment, tolerating ambiguities and resolving them as appropriate. You likely have some experience at a smaller company with this, or within a larger company driving a new initiative.
- Location: While we’re all working from home these days, you must have the ability to work from our NYC location full time when we return to the office.
- Work Authorization: Authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
We have a stellar team of coworkers, a really cool office, and lots of fun activities. Oh yeah, and we pay competitive base salaries and we reward performance. Our salary structure is commensurate with experience. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including medical insurance and 401(K).
The privacy of your personal information is important to us, click here to review our privacy notice.