Head of Learning & Development at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
Cityblock is seeking an innovative, thoughtful and engaging leader who can build and lead an interdisciplinary team to deliver learning, change management, and knowledge experiences that drive performance across a highly distributed organization.
Learning is imperative for our business -- our interdisciplinary care model requires an equally interdisciplinary learning model. Our people are not sitting in a static environment, but instead are constantly moving, engaging and working to help our members. We’re looking for someone to help us build a learning function that intertwines with our people’s lives, adding value and minimizing wasted time. Although that means we’re looking for someone with strong digital experience, we also know that the skills we want to teach require in-person engagement. Therefore, the successful candidate will need to balance digital delivery with in-person delivery, finding ways to integrate both modalities into their strategy.
The Learning & Development team is responsible for the following functions:
- Market Training & Development -- trainers, devoted to markets, focused on helping to deliver content and work with managers to drive performance
- Operations -- manage the overall operations for a large set of delivery needs
- Content Development -- instructional, graphic and content designers to turn SME input into learning experiences that drive development
- Program Management -- build out a program / learning product management function to manage big pieces of the infrastructure
- New Hire Orientation-- deliver an engaging orientation that acclimates all new hires to Cityblock
Cityblock’s future growth will be exponential, not incremental, and this team is responsible for building a learning function and learning processes that can scale.We are making a big investment in this function, and are looking for a leader to take on this unique challenge.
Cityblock’s future growth will be exponential, not incremental, and so this team is responsible for building a learning function and learning processes that can scale. We are making a significant investment in Learning and Development. We need a leader to take on this unique challenge.
- Lead and continue to build an innovative and interdisciplinary learning and development team at Cityblock
- Drive the ongoing strategy and implementation for Cityblock’s orientation and assimilation processes and
- Build out the ongoing, role-specific learning paths for all employees
- In partnership with company leadership, effectively manage prioritization of content creation and delivery across markets
- Lead a team to deliver multi-modal and technology-enabled learning experiences
- Develop an innovative culture that thrives on experimentation and strong execution
- Create a set of metrics and analytics to measure progress and provide insight for improving learning products
- Build a subject matter expert engagement process to ensure that all areas -- clinical, operations, community or behavioral health, technology and leadership -- have curriculum that helps drive improvement in performance and eventually patient outcomes
- Oversee management of Learning Management System to assure content is high-quality, well-organized, and accessible, and learning data is accurate and accessible
- Deploy scalable digital and in-person learning solutions
- Deeply understand Cityblock’s culture, distributed workforces, diverse members/consumers and product technology
- Partner with the people team, market leadership, and clinical leadership to ensure that the learning strategy is aligned with each team’s goals
Requirements for the Role:
- 10+ years of experience building and leading an interdisciplinary learning function
- Strong ability to turn business strategy into learning strategy
- Excellent people management skills; ability to set, in partnership with the team and other stakeholders, a vision and strategy and then lead their team on a path to execute against that strategy
- Experience leading a large, distributed training function
- Excellent collaborator and communicator; experience working within a clinical/healthcare organization is a strong plus
- Experience leveraging data to inform strategy
How We Define Success:
- Build and execute a scalable strategy for delivering learning and development needs across Cityblock’s growing organization
- Develop and manage systems to generate excellent learning content and experiences for employees
- Ensure new employees are onboarded into the organization seamlessly and effectively
- Ensure that the L&D team equips employees in Cityblock Markets with role specific knowledge and skills in order to provide high quality care to Members
- Ensure the delivery of learning solutions that support change initiatives across the organization
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Experience with highly-distributed workforces in a tech-enabled environment
- Product management / technology build experience
- Healthcare experience
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.