Manager, HR Investigations at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. We’ve pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About the Job:
The Manager of Human Resource Investigations will work proactively to investigate and resolve highly sensitive HR and Employee Relations issues for Rent the Runway’s Dream Fulfillment center, a warehousing environment with a highly diverse population of both exempt and nonexempt associates. This role drives overall business performance and employee engagement by proactively diagnosing issues and opportunities and taking the necessary actions to address issues.
The ideal candidate will be a creative, collaborative, results-oriented leader who is particularly adept at balancing multiple priorities and issues and being decisive. A true hands-on approach as well as the ability to successfully monitor the "pulse" of the employees to ensure a high level of employee engagement. Experience with rapid and complex changing work environment and high-volume workload is a must. This role requires someone to be dedicated to developing a strong, diverse, and collaborative organization, have a strong work ethic, a passion for managing the details within a growing business and willing to contribute where necessary including the ability to "roll up your sleeves."
What You’ll Do:
- Act as first point of contact for employee related issues including, but not limited to: harassment, discrimination, wage & hour issues, retaliation, workplace violence and disciplinary actions
- Partner with RTR managers and temp agencies to facilitate and perform thorough investigations using sound judgement as it relates to HR/ER matters as they arise
- Including: Conducting complainant, witness and subject employee interviews; Analyzing data from various internal systems; Proposing remedial action based on investigation findings; Production of completed investigation documentation
- Consult and collaborate with business partners, Legal teams, and 3rd Party partners/vendors on complex employee investigations
- Independently manage assigned casework, bringing investigations to closure rapidly and definitively
- Analyze aggregate casework data to identify issue trends and opportunities for proactive issue mitigation
- Analyze casework trends and produce strategic recommendations to the business to proactively address systemic issues
- Partner in analysis and revision of people programs, policies, and practices to sustain a positive work environment
- Assist with the development and implementation of the HR investigation function across the network
- Provide mentorship to employees & managers, offering feedback and advice on issues in a proactive and compassionate manner
- Conduct trainings for employees and managers
- Review compliance with state, federal and local laws and work with Legal to put mitigation/action plans in place
- Build an environment of positive employee relations by respecting confidentiality, establishing trust and credibility, being seen by employees as approachable and fair, and balancing business needs with employee needs
- Bachelors’ degree in Employment Law, Human Resources, Business Administration, or a related field; JD, an advanced degree or other specialized training in employee relations is a plus.
- Minimum 8-10 years of directly managing complex employee relations issues and investigatory experience
- Solid understanding of federal and state employment and labor laws
- Capable of making decisions independently
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Proven interpersonal skills with a reputation as diplomatic, professional, collaborative, approachable, and knowledgeable
- Bilingual in Spanish is a MUST
- Have a positive, “can-do” attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills (eg. spreadsheet software, powerpoint/slides) as well as experience with an HRIS system; Workday experience a plus
- Must operate with a sense of urgency and have attention to detail
- Align with the company's Core Values to ensure a world class customer experience
- Ability to work flex shifts, hours, nights and weekends as business dictates
- Experience in a manufacturing, distribution, call center or warehouse environment
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
Rent the Runway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Rent the Runway does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.