Manager, Payroll at WeWork Technology
Role Description: The US and Canada Payroll Manager will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations for delivery of payroll services in the region, in a way that balances required service levels to employees, high level of statutory compliance and strong partnership with stakeholders. This includes working with the Director of Payroll to engage with vendors and collaborate to execute payroll timely, accurately and efficiently. The manager will also provide oversight of the payroll staff and the vendor operations teams to meet the team’s goals. The manager will be responsible for ensuring that the internal and external teams understand the transactions impacting payroll. To do this successfully, the manager must have a strong technical background in Payroll, including a basic knowledge of accounting and employment tax matters, internal controls and project management. They must be able to manage the impact on Payroll resulting from the Firm’s Business agenda due to acquisitions, new area expansion, changes in statutory rules, the year end processes, and other related standard and special activities.
Specific Key Job Responsibilities:
- Assist Director of Payroll in devising the processes and controls needed to operate effectively while managing risk.
- Manage the day to day payroll operations for all areas covered by the team, coordinating with the vendors and the internal team to deliver pay accurately, timely, effectively, within all regulatory, labor and tax guidelines.
- Assist with any internal and external audits and examinations, including internal audit, SOX, tax audits, etc.
- Assist and work closely with HR on regional initiatives ensuring they are rolled out with a coordinated effort between the teams.
- Maintain strong and productive relationships with People team, including Benefits, Global Mobility, Operations, Finance, Shared Services, and other internal stakeholders and partners.
- Support Director of Payroll in administering the payroll function through acquisitions and expansion initiatives, such that there are minimum, Day 2 issues and no compliance failures.
- Strong functional Payroll knowledge and a minimum of 7 years’ experience in a large payroll department processing North American payroll.
- Knowledge of withholding tax, related tax filings, tax policy and employment regulations as they relate to reporting in countries where The We Company operates.
- Ability to analyze and interpret payroll data. Understanding of multi-jurisdiction, stock transactions and/or deferrals.
- Basic understanding of accounting principles, ability to understand impact of payroll activity on financial statements and ability to partner with Payroll Accounting team in analyzing and explaining P&L and Balance sheet variances.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively across teams and vendors.
- Strong client service mentality; ability to develop strong working relationships with team, internal partners, stakeholders, and vendors to deliver high quality service.
- Ability to handle numerous priorities in a dynamic and growing environment.
- Workday knowledge a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required.