Payroll and Benefits Analyst at Better.com
We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire home buying journey.
A Better opportunity:
Better.com is looking for a highly motivated Payroll & Benefits Analyst to join our Finance team. With rapid growth across the company, this person will have the opportunity to help execute one of our core financial operations. Sitting at the intersection of Finance and People Operations, this hire’s ownership of day to day payroll processing will help ensure the accuracy, efficiency and scalability of all payroll related workflows.
Responsibilities will include:
- Be the primary owner and administrator of all things related to payroll, including best practices, analysis, reconciliation, and diligent record keeping.
- Own and execute all matters related to payroll administration and reconciliation, such as payroll processing, taxes, and reporting.
- Work collaboratively with internal People Operations and Finance colleagues to continually improve data gathering, reporting, and recordkeeping processes.
- Serve as point of contact for our payroll vendor, liaising between them and internal stakeholders to resolve any payroll issues.
- Identify and own implementation of payroll technologies to facilitate scalability as the business grows.
- Build and maintain expert knowledge of wage legislation, industry standards, and best practices.
- Build and maintain employee confidence and trust by promptly responding to requests and effectively protecting privacy
- 2+ years of experience as a payroll and benefits specialist at a company of 150+ employees.
- Experience with Payroll, Benefits, HRIS (preferably Paylocity), and international payroll vendor management.
- Knowledge of and experience with state and federal labor laws, tax laws, and other regulations, such as COBRA, FMLA, and DOL/FLSA requirements.
- Able to thrive in an extremely fast paced environment.
- Detail oriented, deadline driven and work well under pressure with a high degree of accuracy.
- High degree of discretion and ability to maintain the strictest level of confidentiality.
- Strong oral, verbal, and written communicator.
- Ability to comfortably interact with employees across all levels of experience and seniority.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.