Payroll Coordinator at Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world's developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing. Our clientele includes Google, Microsoft, Bloomberg, and many other Fortune 500 names.
Stack Overflow is searching for a detail-oriented, analytical Payroll Coordinator to assist the department in payroll responsibilities. The Payroll Coordinator at Stack Overflow is responsible for all day to day accounting functions related to payroll and assisting with month-end. They also develop and manage systems, processes, and new policies around these functions. The initial focus of the role will be processing the US payroll and eventually processing payroll for all of our International employees as well. This person will be a key member of the accounting team, and reporting to the Senior Accountant, the Payroll Coordinator also acts as the point of contact for all employee questions relating to payroll and the 401k plan.
What you'll be doing:
- Processes semi-monthly payroll batches for approximately 200 US employees, across multiple states
- Maintains payroll operations by following policies and procedures
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential
- Enters new hires, processes promotions, raises, bonuses, terminations, and all aspects of the employee life cycle
- Registers for new tax jurisdictions as we hire employees in new locations
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages
- Provides payroll information by answering questions and requests from employees
- Prepares monthly journal entries and assists with year-end audits on an as-needed basis
- Audits various HR connections to the payroll system for accuracy
- Reviews year-end 401k reports, maintains 401k platform (adding new hires, terminating former employees, and 401k force-outs), in addition to assisting in the annual 401k audit.
- Processes year-end filings such as W2s, 1095-Cs, 3921s
- Performs other accounting/finance duties and projects as assigned
What you’ll need to have:
- At least 2-3 years of hands-on payroll processing experience in multiple states in a high volume and fast paced environment
- Must possess knowledge of payroll taxation concepts and terminology
- Proficiency in ADP Workforce Now
- Commitment to protect confidential information
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be customer service oriented, as well as experience fielding payroll-related questions from employees
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Energetic, highly organized and a self starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage time-sensitive projects and collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Strong project and process management skills
Nice to Have (but by no means a requirement):
- Experience processing International payrolls
- Intermediate to advanced excel skills (e.g. knowledge of VLOOK-UP, Pivot Tables, SUMIF, IF statements)
- Previous experience with SageIntacct ERP, and Bamboo HRIS
- Comfortable working with software tools and learning a variety of new systems
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our office (re-opening June 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.