Payroll Manager at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about high performing team players who can take new challenges and go the extra mile.
We are looking for an experienced Payroll Manager to oversee the daily operations of the Payroll function, managing end-to-end processes to ensure employee compensation is timely, accurate, and compliant. The successful candidate must be highly analytical, organized, and skilled at communication and problem-solving. Additionally, this person will be an energetic, hands-on individual who can embrace organizational change and work collaboratively with others. This position reports to the Director, Accounting Operations.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Process U.S. and Canada payroll and benefits accurately, timely, and efficiently in compliance with all federal, state/provincial, local, and regulatory requirements.
- Review payroll for the International entities, working with the People Operations team to ensure payroll is complete and accurate.
- Own the Hire to Retire process for Payroll ensuring adherence to internal controls.
- Manage other payroll functions including recording of stock compensation in payroll system, registering for state and local payroll tax accounts, and year-end payroll processing (tax year-end reports, W2s).
- Handle all federal, state, and local payroll correspondence and work closely with the Company’s payroll providers to ensure all required filings are submitted timely.
- Assist in the requirements gathering, evaluation, and implementation of an HRIS solution.
- Fulfill audit and tax requirements as needed, as well as field questions and requests for payroll information.
- Facilitate process improvements to operational procedures and processes that meet audit standards and improve efficiency.
- Participate in accounting projects and initiatives with other members of the finance team and other departments.
- Ensure that policies and procedures and desktop procedures are documented for all processes and updated periodically.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or Economics highly preferred.
- CPP Certified.
- Hands-on experience with ADP Workforce Now.
- Ability to resolve payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Understanding of payroll journal entries and accounting process, including balance sheet reconciliations.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel (creating spreadsheets and using financial Excel functions).
- Ability to execute and follow-through to completion and documentation.
- High attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Ability to function independently and effectively in a self-directed environment.
- Excellent time-management and organization skills.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Finance team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!