People Business Partner at Justworks
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
You are a true HR guru. You know what employees want and how to ensure they are being taken care of on both a personal and professional level. There is no problem too big or too small that you cannot tackle using your extensive HR knowledge and intuition to drive improvements across the business. Your presence fosters trust among employees and the people around you know you have their back. You understand the business value of taking care of our people and ensuring they are able to bring their full selves to work
As the People Business Partner, you will oversee and manage the day to day operations and long-term strategy of the HR team and organization overall, including but not limited to: employee relations, terminations, performance issues, internal job changes, employee data integrity and adherence to compliance and employment standards. The People Business Partner will report directly to the SVP, People.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
- Serve as a people and business advocate, surfacing significant systemic areas of concerns and making appropriate strategic recommendations for changes with regard to company policies, practices and/or procedures, talent management, employee engagement, and/or retention needs.
- Foster trust and confidence among employees in the execution of People policies and strategy.
- Be innovative and inclusive, partnering with Justworks’ DEI team to drive thoughtful, integrated approaches to promote DEI in talent attraction, development, and retention.
- Partner with HR Operations, DEI, Employee Experience, Recruiting, Total Rewards, Legal to identify key problem areas or opportunities for improvement across people, process, technology, and policy areas, aligned to the overall People team strategy.
- Serve as a champion on organizational initiatives to ensure that Justworks attract and develop diverse talent and maintain an inclusive and engaging culture.
- Provide People counsel, collaborate and consult with leaders and Justworks legal counsel on employee relations issues including investigating, coaching, advising and reporting as necessary.
- Drive continuous improvement that simplifies HR processes and policies
- Performs other duties as needed based on department and/or organizational needs.
As a People Business Partner, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Consultative - takes an approach that focuses on building relationships with others, understanding their problems, and developing solutions to their challenges through open-ended questions and active listening.
- Solution-oriented - identifies the source of a question or challenge and provides the right, or a better, way of doing things.
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Functional expertise - subject matter expertise of specific function(s), including knowledge of principles, practices, and domain knowledge.
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in HR/HRBP
- Proven experience developing partnerships with business leaders, particularly in helping them lead an organization through significant change, and during a period of realignment and growth.
- Ability to coach and communicate across all levels of the organization; up, down and across
- Strong operational thinker, with a knack for solving problems and building solutions
- Proactive and curious by nature. You are creative and enjoy taking unique approaches to solving problems
- Ability to navigate confidential information with professional maturity
- Must demonstrate influence and client consulting skills with employees, managers, and senior leadership
- Possesses both critical thinking capability and good professional judgment
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of regulations, laws and industry best practices to ensure compliance with all applicable international, federal, state, and local employment laws
- Experience working with and optimizing HR platforms
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment