At Teachable, we build products that transform the experience and know-how of independent professionals into thriving online businesses. We believe shared knowledge has the power to change lives, and our mission is to enable people to share what they know.
Teachable has built a talented team of over 150 employees across New York City, Durham, and Las Vegas. We continue to hire rapidly and are looking for a People Operations Generalist to support our growing organization in setting up thoughtful people practices and policies, expanding our benefits offerings, managing our payroll platform and HRIS, responding to employee requests and questions, supporting immigration processes, and bringing a sense of togetherness even as we work remotely (through at least 2021). We are particularly mindful that 2020 has created unusual circumstances for everyone, and we seek a team member who will keep employee well-being at the forefront.
This role reports directly to the VP of People, and will be based out of Teachable’s New York City headquarters.
- Oversee and maintain payroll for both exempt and non-exempt employees on a semi-monthly basis (currently on Justworks)
- Serve as the main point of contact for payroll, benefits administration, verification of employment, and related employee questions
- Liaise with benefits and service providers to ensure optimal service for our employees
- Support the review, transition to, and implementation of a new payroll system when we convert off of a PEO model
- Oversee all employee leave administration including parental leave, sick leave, FMLA, STD, LTD, etc
- Bring a creative and thoughtful mindset to employee benefits, perks, and people operations
- Support People team projects related to diversity, equity, and inclusion, learning and development, office experience, and employee engagement
- Collaborate with the People and Legal teams in revising and creating a modern employee handbook
- Support employee immigration cases with external counsel
- Ensure smooth onboarding and offboarding processes for all employees
What We’re Looking for:
- 4+ years of experience as a payroll and benefits administrator, working with exempt and non-exempt populations as well as commission- and bonus-based populations is a plus
- Deep familiarity with I-9 requirements, e-verify, employment law, and compliance
- Empathetic, energetic, and engaging attitude--connecting with employees in a way that creates trust, support, and positivity
- High level of integrity--maintaining confidentiality and privacy protection for all employee and company data and information
- Proactive, solutions-oriented, and detail focused--you look to fix and support and keep accurate records and documentation at all times
- Eager, self-driven learner who is looking for an opportunity to shape best practices in a growing organization and People team
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Experienced with: G-Suite, Microsoft Office, Slack, Zoom, one or multiple payroll software systems, and HRIS software such as BambooHR
- Experience or exposure to non-US/International benefits and payroll practices
- Ability to speak another language such as Spanish or Portuguese
- Passionate about payroll and advocate for equity and inclusion in benefits design and selection
- Tech-savvy with systems and software integrations for HR/People platforms
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than $850 million to date.
Since our founding, we've raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now a part of the Hotmart group, an international startup, based in Brazil, with over 800 employees worldwide. Hotmart's mission is to help creators earn a living from their passion.
We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won't hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you'll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
We plan to be optionally remote until at least September 2021
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premium
Discretionary paid vacation & time off with a company average of 24 days a year
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
Dependent Care FSA
50% gym & wellness match
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Finally, please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. We'd do this anyway, but federal law requires us to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.