Senior Payroll Specialist at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs, bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs and some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are—bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. We will get started in new markets, each with their own operating structure and care teams, and continue to grow in the communities where we are working already. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To deliver a radically better experience of care to our members and advance equity in the communities we serve, we strive to make our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bridging together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels like they belong, are valued, respected, and celebrated as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
Cityblock’s Senior Payroll Specialist will play a critical role in maintaining our payroll function. This is a fully remote, cross-functional role that will partner closely with our Accounting, Finance and People Operations teams to build and iterate our internal payroll processes to ensure a seamless experience for our salaried and hourly employees.
This position will be responsible for all elements of processing payroll, tax filing, resolving employee payroll concerns, and many other elements of payroll and accounting, which includes processing payroll accurately for salaried/ hourly employees for each entity, creating journal entries for each payroll (ex. PTO accrual, etc), creating accruals for each payroll, ensuring payroll taxes are filed on time, collaborating with PeopleOps and Talent to improve workflows, new employee onboarding training, maintaining system/ workflow integrity and ad hoc responsibilities (SLA’s, system implementation, etc.)
Requirements for the Role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration preferred
- 4+ years of professional experience processing payroll with at least 2 years in a start-up environment
- Experience working in a complex, multiple-entity business structure
- Paylocity/ADP or equivalent experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills; must be detail oriented
- Open to change and willing to learn new skills
- System implementation experience preferred
How We Define Success:
- Processing of payroll accurately and in a timely manner (per the payroll deadline calendar)
- Understanding/Improving sub-systems/processing to create efficiencies in the payroll process
- Ensuring that all payroll tax matters are resolved in a timely manner
- Identifying areas for improvement and producing an action plan to resolve
- Communicating effectively with all levels in the organization and resolving topics presented
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Start-up Experience
- Customer-service mindset
- Self starter attitude
- Independent contributor
- Natural leader but as humble as a student
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.