Senior Recruiter at Sidewalk Labs
Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company with a mission to radically improve urban life. We aim to create inclusive, large-scale communities by bringing together an innovative planning approach, products and services designed to address urban challenges, and capital for real estate and advanced infrastructure.
Since our founding in 2015, we've grown into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York and Toronto. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
To date, we've incubated and invested in multiple companies focused on solving city problems, and we've launched the Sidewalk Toronto project, which aims to create a community along Toronto's waterfront that achieves new standards of sustainability, affordability, and economic opportunity for all.
With the potential to catalyze and scale new models for inclusive growth, our work is both highly exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
This role is the 4th member of our Talent team, and great for someone with the ability and desire to work across a wide recruiting range. Our work stretches from running unique searches to establishing scalable hiring processes, all the way to building talent programs and delivering projects. As a small team, we work together closely, yet we have our own clients and projects.
To get a sense of the breadth of our work to date, see our team page for a list of current employees.
Talent at Sidewalk is charged with expanding an incredible team focused on radically improving urban life. We have access to the world’s brightest and most accomplished leaders in their fields who work at the leading edge of innovation to improve the world, and we have the opportunity to shape the way they hire their teams. Recruiting on our team is unusual: we hire best-in-class talent, while many roles are idiosyncratic and often do not exist anywhere else. Looking ahead to 2020 and beyond, we are preparing for increased scale and stronger systems and programs.
The mandate and positioning of our Talent team enables us to become true partners to our hiring teams. This is an opportunity to advance a high-impact recruiting function while working on the frontline of innovation.
What you have to achieve:
We recruit full-cycle, so we expect you to do everything: strategize with your hiring managers, define jobs and specs, source effectively (through postings, referrals, tools, and events), run smooth, structured, and predictive assessment processes, negotiate and close offers, and help kick-off the onboarding process.
Beyond the tactics, we refine our work and infrastructure continuously, from improvements such as sharing updated language templates, all the way to nuanced efforts like incorporating Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (EID) work into how we seek, select, and integrate talent. You have to help us step that up.
- Within your 1st month, you will have begun learning the business and started building relationships with your hiring teams. You have figured out how to use our tools (LinkedIn, Hiretual, Documents, Trainings), and will begin making contributions to the team (owning 1-2 requisitions and helping to run interview trainings across the organization).
- By the end of your 3rd month, you have already made a fantastic hire or two and Hiring Managers and candidates loved the experience. You have taken ownership for a program workstream (e.g. Employer Branding, Tools & Infrastructure, etc.) and are making progress.
- After 6 months you are known as a key player on the team, a trusted partner to your key clients and credible in our domain. You have also improved processes (like candidate tagging or pipeline projects) and have delivered on programs.
- Within 12 months, you have become a critical part of our Talent team.
What we expect:
You must be comfortable and experienced with full-cycle recruiting. You know how to build and operate any recruiting process end-to-end. You also have a track record of finding and hiring top talent. To be successful, you’ll need at least 5 years with a strong skill set and results to show for it.
How you demonstrate that …
- You easily tailor and execute an end-to-end recruiting process for widely different positions, using all necessary strategies and tools to get the job done.
- Relationships matter: you take ownership for the candidate experience and actively work with your stakeholders to ensure the SWL process is followed.
- You can build teams. You understand how recruiting ties into the business and ultimately how it influences its success.
- You always have a nuanced approach to equity, inclusion, and increasing representation in hiring and a framework for how to achieve it.
- You’re constantly learning and have an eye towards continuous improvement.
Experience recruiting in-house is important in this role. Expertise in venture, big tech, real estate, innovation, or in executive search is a plus. Drive, problem-solving, and teamwork are basic expectations we’ll have for you.
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. All employment is based on merit and business need.