Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Training Manager to help us scale Cockroach University, a free online learning platform focused on teaching developers and operators what they need to know to use CockroachDB and CockroachCloud. You will partner with the VP of Education to define the strategy and roadmap for Cockroach University, and you will enable a team of Curriculum Developers to build out engaging and high-quality online curriculum for customer self-sufficiency at scale. This work will directly support the company’s strategic adoption goals and the success of our customers and community users. Location for this role is flexible but you must be US-based.You Will
- Manage and develop a team of Curriculum Developers & in-house Video Editor.
- Establish and evolve processes and conventions for effective team operations and quality curriculum creation and maintenance.
- Support the VP of Education on the strategy and roadmap for Cockroach University and CockroachDB Certification.
- Guide Curriculum Developers in the scope and definition of course objectives and lesson plans.
- Report on course adoption and use data to identify improvement areas.
- Own and manage all training infrastructure and manage vendor relationships.
- Investigate and plan a migration to a new learning management system.
- Define and execute plans for scaling and specializing the Training function.
- Develop technical expertise in CockroachDB and accompanying technologies and, when necessary, get hands-on with content creation.
- Foster collaboration with our Docs, Engineering, Product, and Customer Success teams to keep our curriculum up-to-date, effective, and user-centric.
In your first 30 days, you will learn about CockroachDB and understand the value it brings to our customers; get a handle on the Training team’s current priorities, tools, and processes; collaborate with the VP of Education on the roadmap toward CockroachDB Certification; and establish internal relationships across Education, Product, Sales, and Support.
3 months in, you will be guiding your team in the creation of new Cockroach University courses and in the maintenance and optimization of existing content; taking ownership of internal Training metrics and enhancements to provide the team with insights into the effectiveness of our curriculum; investigating new learning management systems and planning a migration; and communicating both internal and externally about our Training plans and progress.You Have
- 5+ years of experience managing and scaling technical training teams.
- 5+ years of experience as a curriculum developer, technical instructor, instructional designer, or equivalent technical position.
- Passion for developing and delivering educational experiences that meet the real-world needs of customers, and for building internal and external relationships to get feedback and identify opportunities.
- Familiarity with, or enthusiasm for learning, the various technologies that make distributed applications function.
- Proficiency in Linux and one or more programming languages (Python, Go, Java, etc.).
Reporting to Jesse Seldess - VP of Education
The CockroachDB mission is to make data easy. Jesse makes sure we build the educational counterpart to that mission: Make learning CockroachDB easy and intuitive. Previously, he spent four years at AppNexus building and leading a team of writers through a broad range of docs scenarios, from technical integrations to business use. In off-hours, he’s probably make-believing with his kids, reading literature, or writing his own.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]